Crown density

If someone restores the anterior half of the scalp with reasonably good densty HT ( say 40FU per cm) what is the minimum density for the posterior half to have a reasonable cosmetic result. I am a NW 6 and ideally would like to cover as much an area as possible .. BTW I am in my mid 50's age wise. What is better thin coverage throughout or a bald island at the crown????

I would say cover as much as possible at over 40 average (decent density) and concede a bald patch which is what I plan to do. Thin throughout looks worse IMO.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I don't know what I would rather do, go for a dense look with a bald spot or thin throughout. There are products that can mask thin spots, but there are no products that I am aware of that can mask a bald spot.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hs anybody tried 30 FU/cm in the posterior half/ crown area?? Clearly the density in the posterior aspect of the scalp can be less than the anterior. All in an effort to increase the area covered. In an older gentleman, the consequences of a thin crown are less significant than in a 30 yo for example. Opinion?

Hs anybody tried 30 FU/cm in the posterior half/ crown area?? Clearly the density in the posterior aspect of the scalp can be less than the anterior. All in an effort to increase the area covered. In an older gentleman, the consequences of a thin crown are less significant than in a 30 yo for example. Opinion?

When you say 30, I assume you mean the average. A good doc will not place 30 evenly thorough out your crown. Instead, they will place at higher density in certain areas of the crown and less in others so the average would be 30. I do think 30 in the crown (assuming your hair is at least medium) can look good if done right.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

When you say 30, I assume you mean the average. A good doc will not place 30 evenly thorough out your crown. Instead, they will place at higher density in certain areas of the crown and less in others so the average would be 30. I do think 30 in the crown (assuming your hair is at least medium) can look good if done right.

Yes , avg 30 FU/ cm. My hair is straight and more on the fine side, however.

I measured my crown area today and if I did it right it seems as though I have about 120 sq centimeters (NW6) with a little over 3000 grafts (it's been 4 1/2 months) I think that comes to 25 grafts per sq ctmts so we'll see what happens.

Graft counts (1s 254) (2s 1043) (3s 1611) (4s 128)

I measured my crown area today and if I did it right it seems as though I have about 120 sq centimeters (NW6) with a little over 3000 grafts (it's been 4 1/2 months) I think that comes to 25 grafts per sq ctmts so we'll see what happens.

Graft counts (1s 254) (2s 1043) (3s 1611) (4s 128)

Hi Evil

Keep us posted. Do you have any pics even though early stages? Have you done the front half already? Surgeon?

The route I am choosing is to shrink my crown by about 70% with density close to what I had done on the front and top (which gave me very good density in those areas) as opposed to hitting the whole crown at a density that would be noticeably lower than the front and top. It's all a matter of preference I suppose. However, I do think it critical for any crown patient to make sure the laterals are done well to make sure your head is framed and your profiles from the side look good.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

The route I am choosing is to shrink my crown by about 70% with density close to what I had done on the front and top (which gave me very good density in those areas) as opposed to hitting the whole crown at a density that would be noticeably lower than the front and top. It's all a matter of preference I suppose. However, I do think it critical for any crown patient to make sure the laterals are done well to make sure your head is framed and your profiles from the side look good.

Agree it is a matter of preference. Not sure what the right way to go is. How big an area in theory will be left over? Did your surgeon recommend one way versus another?

If one looks in the real world there are many examples of men with relatively good heads of hair but thinning in the crown. Thinking this might not be a bad solution.

I totally agree about the laterals, it really is the best and most aesthetic approach, and to 'birdness' I'll be posting pix when I feel there is something to share with the community, at this time the only way I see hairs popping through is with a magnifying mirror, most casual observers wouldn't have a clue I had an HT, also in response to your question about my surgeon, I had my transplant with Colorado Hair Institute, the surgeon that harvested my strip is Dr Searle and their 'lead' tech who made the incisions and transplanted the grafts along with a couple of other techs is Kathryn.

Also I had a previous transplant with the notorious MHR 'Men's Hair Restoration' 8 years ago, 1600 grafts in the frontal third which is totally inadequate and I will be going back to CHI next year for another 3000 grafts to fill that in, maybe 2500 in the front plus another 500 in the back. BTW I'm 59