How can the number of grafts required vary so much between surgeons?

Hi,

As I have already posted I am thinking of getting FUE to fill in my corners (I’m 29 and NW3). I sent my pictures to a few highly respected doctors and each one has replied saying I need a different number of grafts ranging from as little as 600 up to 2000 grafts… How is one meant to decide which route to take?

Also is it normal procedure to book surgery online rather than to personally meet with a surgeon for an initial consultation? Is it enough for a surgeon to just look at pictures over the internet and then for the patient to just turn up for surgery?

Thank you,

Ricky

The difference is usually based on design. If someone is making a lower or more aggressive hairline it may require more grafts. You can ask the surgeon to draw this out on a photo via email. Online bookings are quite common these days especially international patients. Normally you'll meet with the surgeon again before surgery to I over everything again and the number may vary but most likely not by a lot.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Make sure u think this through and do yr time researching as it sounds to me u are not educated with this procedure. Honestly, make sure u know what u are doing before u jump the gun...

Most surgeons on here wont bs u, but u need to watch yr back at all times...Go with the big boys and u will be fine as they don't need to bs u to get business. Remember some may overload u with grafts while others won't. U need to be very careful like u r walking on glass....

Some surgeons are more aggressive than others. The ones that recommend 2,000 grafts will lower the hairline, fill in the temples and dense-pack more into a square centimeter. The ones who recommend 800 for examples will have a conservative hairline, not dense pack as much and may be subtle with the temple closure but will conserve your donor area. You may think having a low and dense hairline is really neat but you must think of your possible future needs if you lose more hair.

"Also is it normal procedure to book surgery online rather than to personally meet with a surgeon for an initial consultation? Is it enough for a surgeon to just look at pictures over the internet and then for the patient to just turn up for surgery?"

Nothing beats a physical consultation in person. From there you can decide if you want to proceed with the surgery or not.