Blood test before and after Fin

bmilla35

Is it a good idea? I don't know how expensive the test is, but I plan on seeing a GP to be prescribed for it soon (after my Derm turned me down i'm really hoping he will prescribe it). Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it?

Do you have insurance? I don't think it would be that expensive. I haven't had it done, but it would be interesting to know what my levels were before and after. My gp did the test after and noted that my testosterone was a little low.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I do have insurance. I can bring the idea up to him. It would be cool to see the effect it has on DHT levels.

If you don't mind me asking, is it Fin that lowered your testosterone or was that unrelated?

I don't know if it was fin since I don't have the tests from before, but I think it is a safe guess that is was, since I am 34 years old I am a little on the young side to be experiencing natural low-T. Naturally I think my testosterone should just now be starting to drop, but not enough that it would be notable on a test without fin.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm not sure what a blood test will tell you. Some people on the forums like to do it, but I don't really know what the point is. Fin is supposed to reduce DHT in the hair follicle and prostate, so systemic levels aren't really as relevant.

Furthermore, fin raises T levels...so I can't see why fin would be causing Spanker's low T.

KO, good catch. I learned something today! I assumed that this was due to the fin when she mentioned it. You are right. It raises your testosterone by 9 percent. Good catch. Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT, so a T level test won't mean much.

Well, I guess that you would have to have your actual DHT checked and I am not sure that you could have this done on a normal blood test. These levels will actually drop 70 percent.

View Spanker's Website

Call me crazy, but couldn't you indirectly measure DHT by measuring testosterone? In other words, since T is converted to DHT, if you block the enzyme, there should be a building up of testosterone levels.

Edited by Nick153452

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Call me crazy, but couldn't you indirectly measure DHT by measuring testosterone? In other words, since T is converted to DHT, if you block the enzyme, there should be a building up of testosterone levels.

Makes sense to me. That's why I was confused when I heard Spank say his T levels dropped.

In regards to my derm, he said that a recent patient of his had side effects (hinted at ED) so he was hesitant to prescribe it to me since i'm younger.

• 2 weeks later...