Does Finasteride Sexual Side Effects go away

aceman

So I have been taking about .625 milligrams per day (cut a 5 mg tablet in 8 pieces with razor blade) and the only side effect I have is loss of sexual desire, which is a pretty bad side effect (would rather not have this and have all the others). Will this eventually go away? Would taking it every other day make a difference?

I know its "Finasteride" but can't change the spelling error in the title.

ace....yes in many people sides go away or diminish greatly

in a small minority of patients the sides do not go away

how long have you been taking it?

any minor sides I had went away within 45-60 days

you may try reducing the dose to every other day

to give your body a chance to adjust

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

aceman,

I've edited your title to make this discussion more searchable.

As Shampoo stated above, in many cases, sexual side effects subside with finasteride subside in time. In a few cases, they persist until the drug is discontinued. In very rare cases, they may be permanent.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

propecia has maid my sex drive very high, weird right?

Not really, because the reduced conversion of testosterone to DHT often results in an increase in serum testosterone levels and thus and increase in libido. The reason that finasteride and male pattern baldness effect people in different ways is because they are related to hormone levels. Imbalance of hormones, how each person responds to anti-androgens and how every individual varies determines how a patient responds to fin. The side effects of propecia clearly illustrate this fact. Some people experience reduced libido while others experience increased libido. This is because patients react differently to fin. Some patients bodies react to the increased testosterone levels by increasing estrogen levels and this may result in reduced libido, gyno, ED, ect.. While other peoples' bodies don't produce a larger amout of estrogen in response and they end up with a larger amount of testosterone and experience and increase in libido

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I initially began with increased libido but in more recent days have experienced a notable decrease. I switched from 1.5 3x a week to .5/3x a week and still experienced. The majority of times I don't wake up with "morning wood" (don't know if I am experiencing it nocturnally or not), but this may be because I don't sleep that well and have a high amount of stress. Problem is that I stopped taking fin. for a while between switching and my libido exploded to an unbearable level (felt like I was 13 all over again).

It's all tough to gauge. I also masturbate a burdensome amount (3x or more a day) so that may also be causing part of the problem.

I initially began with increased libido but in more recent days have experienced a notable decrease. I switched from 1.5 3x a week to .5/3x a week and still experienced. The majority of times I don't wake up with "morning wood" (don't know if I am experiencing it nocturnally or not), but this may be because I don't sleep that well and have a high amount of stress. Problem is that I stopped taking fin. for a while between switching and my libido exploded to an unbearable level (felt like I was 13 all over again).

It's all tough to gauge. I also masturbate a burdensome amount (3x or more a day) so that may also be causing part of the problem.

I dont think masterbation has anything to do with it