Sun and transplanted hair

Hi all,

I have read so much about Sun exposure and the newly transplanted hair, but I am still confused as to what are we trying to avoid and what precautions we should take while going out in the Sun. Can all the veterans take a look at the questions below and answer these so that not just me, but all the people thinking about having transplant are fully informed before they make the HT surgery committment.

- Are we looking to avoid a Sun-burn? So if we do not have a Sun-burn we do not have to worry about anything?

- At work, if we sit direct in front of a glass window do we have to be worried? Is it considered direct sun-exposure? Do we have to be worried about that?

- Do we have to wear a hat driving as well?

- How long do we have to be worried about? 3 months? 6 months?

- In case we do get a Sun-burn transplanted hair will not grow?

Can you guys please answer these questions?

Since the transplanted area has been poked 1000s of times, you don't want to go to the beach during your healing process (about 2 weeks) and put that skin through the ringer with a scalp sunburn. You can, however, wear a baseball cap, or panama style hat, that doesn't rub the transplanted area to protect you from the sun. So you don't have to be a couch potato for 2 weeks by any means. Sitting at work by a window will probably not result in any damage. You should be fine driving, unless you're driving a convertible and still in the healing process. You should be fine after 3-4 weeks to resume your activities 100%.

Don't over worry...just take precautions and you should be just fine.

Best of luck!

Hi guys,

Thank you for your invaluable comments and inputs.

Sometimes wearing a hat is not an option for me and I have to take my clients out for lunces or meet them outside. That means I should not be having HT because I may end up wasting the grafts anyways. Right? I may be able to avoid this for 1 month, but after that I do have to resume my client interactions/meetings.

I also some additional questions:

- If we get sick during the growth phase or while waiting for transplanted hair to regrow and you have to take medication for sickness/fever/allegies. Are we going to jeopardize the results by taking the results or being sick?

- Recommended shampoo after the procedure?

If you're concerned due to the fact of being out of the sun and not being able to wear protection, at least within 2 weeks of your procedure, then take the time off. Leaving the office and hopping in your car will not cause sun damage. However, if you're out in the sun for long periods of time during your healing process, then it could become a problem.

1 month should be more than enough time to heal correctly and be back at it. Just make sure you follow your healing process correctly as stated by your doctor and you should be alright.

Being sick nor medication should have any affect at all. As far as shampoo, my doctor washed my hair before, after surgery and then I washed it 2 times a day every day til all the scabs fell off...so washing hair seems to be a vital part of healing. However, I didn't rub the transplanted area during wash...I used a cup and poured shampoo and water over it and then washed off with clean water.

Hope this helps.

Thanks GreatPelo.

I can take 2 weeks off from work and after that can take another 2 week off from meeting the clients. But after these 4 weeks I can not wear a hat for brief times like 15-20 min out in the sun every 2 to 3 hours.

Why I asked about the allergies is because I get seasonal allergies in fall and spring. So if I am waiting for the transplanted hair to sprout and have these allergies, I will have to take the meds for 1-2 weeks like regular Claritin, Reactine, Tylenol etc.

I wanted askto ask as to what shampoo should I use after the first 2 weeks.

Allergy medication shouldn't have an adverse effect. Check with your doctor to confirm. As far as shampoo, you can use any volume shampoo that will give you thickness. I use $5 Pantene I buy at Walmart that lasts me 3-4 months...go figure!

Taco

Your new hair and follicles are immature and young. They need to mature and strengthen up. A baby is born with his hair, if you burn his scalp at a young age it can affect his follicles. If it does no hair will grow back in the area. Of course as he gets older the hair becomes stronger and the odds of this happening are less.

You have to consider your new hair as a babys hair. It needs to be protect for at least 6-8 months. You don't want to risk burning your scalp because you risk killing the hairs. Of course this is the worse case but after spending all the money do you want to take a risk?

Make sure you wear a hat and if you cant use sunscreen.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I appreciate everyone's comments, but I think we are taking this thread in the same direction. Too many conflicting opinions.

Are we supposed to prevent a Sun-burn? Or, are we supoosed to prevent our hair from UV rays period? Sun-burn or no Sun-burn, just stay away from the Sun?

Sun rays through an office building's glass can lead to damaged grafts? Or, not worry about covering the recipient area when working in the office?

I just want this topic to end...so that we know exactly what to do.