pre surgery instructions for Dr. Umar

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a hair transplant with dr. umar, just wondering do you know what some of his pre surgery instructions are? He will not give out his pre surgery instructions until he gets the deposit, but I need to know what they are before I give him the deposit. Questions such as do you have to quit using propecia before surgery?

Do you have to use rogaine before the surgery?

I have to look presentable at work and I use gel/toppik/hairspray to hide my thinning hair, if I had to use rogaine before the surgery that would be a lot of maintenance. I plan on taking time of work after the surgery.

Actually, docs want you to stop minox 30 days before surgery to decrease the chance of excess bleeding. Therefore, minox will not be required preop. Propecia will also not be required as it will not have any bearing on your results. However, I would suggest you consider using it for stabilization. Also, there is some evidence that it helps minimize shock loss post op when strarted a few months before the surgery.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Chris,

I would not stop any medication until you receive direct instructions from your physician to do so. At this point in time, it appears as if Dr. Umar has not provided instructions to stop any medications, so you should likely wait and receive the actual instructions from him first. Have you asked Dr. Umar any of these questions directly? While I understand why he wouldn't provide all the pre-surgical instructions yet, I am fairly certain he would tell you if he normally has patients stop or start medications around the time of the surgery.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

No there is no need to stop propecia, in fact most surgeons recommended you be on the medication as long as possible prior to a HT. The reason you need to stop minoxidil one month berore surgery is because it is a vasodilator and can cause excess bleeding during the procedure

I don't think it's necessarily obvious to have a down-payment before pre-op instructions are given. It's not like it's a top secret or anything. Some clinics such as shapiro give their instructions on their website; http://www.shapiromedical.com/_asset/hdrd6m/02_Pre-op_Instructions.pdf . It's not like by knowing the instructions, the grafts will magically implant themselves.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily