Alternative to Prednisone for Swelling?

Hi, I'm having my 1st transplant this week by a well known NYC surgeon. Prednisone is one of the medications I'm supposed to take afterwards to reduce swelling. But I am very sensitive to all types of stimulants and remembering taking an oral steroid for a sinus infection many years ago and having a bad reaction to it, I don't want to take the prednisone. Any recommendations for alternatives to minimize swelling?

The other alternative is to take nothing. Even if you well it doesn't hurt and it last in most cases from day 3 to day 5 post op.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

The most natural way of reducing potential swelling post-op is the use of ice packs. Many HT doctors recommend the use of ice packs post-op especially if work is being done in the hairline zone.

It is the relating trauma that can cause the potential swelling. In addition, the fluids that are injected into the scalp can begin to drift downward towards the forehead region. It is in fact the pull of gravity that moves these fluids downward.

There are other forms of oral steroids that you can consider under your doctor's supervision. You could always email the doctor before your procedure and ask about an alternative.

Congrats on your upcoming procedure! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY