Please comment on 2 issues

Hi guys

I'm now 8 weeks post op and have two questions for the HT guru's here. I've posted a long story with several pics here. A bit longwinded, but I'm treating it like a diary.

So, on to my two questions:

1) The VERY slow progress on the redness of the recipient area. Am I overdoing it with the meds? I know the Minox 5% does not help, but am I causing problems or complications? Any recommendations of reducing it without harming the transplants?

2) Donor scar. I feel it's not impressive, if not just plain poor work. I've seen some much better pics from others on this site.

Feel free to post your comments here or on my original posting's comment section.

Thanks.

Hi guys

I'm now 8 weeks post op and have two questions for the HT guru's here. I've posted a long story with several pics here. A bit longwinded, but I'm treating it like a diary.

So, on to my two questions:

1) The VERY slow progress on the redness of the recipient area. Am I overdoing it with the meds? I know the Minox 5% does not help, but am I causing problems or complications? Any recommendations of reducing it without harming the transplants?

2) Donor scar. I feel it's not impressive, if not just plain poor work. I've seen some much better pics from others on this site.

Feel free to post your comments here or on my original posting's comment section.

Thanks.

Guest balloonman

I too have been reading your posts and following your progress.

The placement and hairline design look very good. I am impressed with Dr Yarmans work, except the scar as you have pointed out.

I have never seen a closure of this kind. At first I thought it was just the picture itself or just the timing of when the photo was taken but, it appears as if the wound was never really completely sutured closed.

In any case, the photos of the scar weeks later does concern me but, you need to wait a few months to get a final idea as to how the scar will look. Is there any way for you to post a good clear photo of the scar today? That would help in determining the quality of the closure or if the hair around the scar is just shocked.

I am surprised that a Dr with the obvious skill and experience in planting, design and angulation could be so poor in closure but, perhaps that is the case. Please update the scar photos to the most current state.

Rogaine is really a joke and I rarely use it on grafts. Minoxidil does not regrow hair on the front of the head and if it does "jump start" graft growth then it isnt anything major. Not like its gonna cut the sprout time down from 4 months to 4 weeks so if you have any irritation or side effects from the minoxodil, just stop using it altogether, you wont be much worse off it at all.

The redness is always a problem with any patient who has a megasession done as there are repeated cuts made to the skin in very close proximity to each other. I am 7 months post op of a hairline megasession myself and the redness has just now disappeared. At the 4 month and 5 month mark it was still pinkinsh.

There isnt too much you can do to increase the heal time or reduce the redness. Try hydrocortizone cream, witch hazel, aloe vera or even neosporin as they all help reduce redness to a certain degree but, its really a matter of time and just waiting it out.

If it makes you feel any better, I have never heard of a HT patient who after a year or more still had any hint of redness so, relax it will go away in time all by itself.

"I am surprised that a Dr with the obvious skill and experience in planting, design and angulation could be so poor in closure but, perhaps that is the case."

I think that is unlikely (but certainly possible). Have you seen Bukkaroo's photos? His scar is similar and never had any previous work. His surgeon was Dr. Hasson. Some people just have problematic healing characteristics --myself included.

If he did botch the scar, I'm sure that he will revise it for free. I realize that it sucks to get cut again. Don't worry Spock, you'll look great when all is said and done. icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. Someone else mentioned using witch hazel too. I'll give that and a bit of aloe vera a shot.

Regarding the scar, I just read what Jake 11's scar looks like from Shapiro as an example of great closure. Maybe it's not fair to compare virgin scalp to mine (1 small previous HT 10 years ago), but I will anyway. When I look at my day of surgery pic it looks obvious to me that it was not properly closed. I don't think it will need revision or anything like that. I have very good coverage back there. Just don't think it's first class work.

Looking at the positive, I agree the recipient area will turn out well.

Guest balloonman

BIG 1: This is how misinformation gets spread. Bukkarroos scar was not caused by Dr Hasson it was REVISED by Dr Hasson. SOme other Dr messed him up and he went to Hasson to fix it. It is not fair or accurate to say that his scar was the result of Dr Hasson, he was the Dr chosen to repair the botched work.

SPOCK: If the scar is wide you will need to revise it. It doesnt matter if you have the coverage to hide it or not, the scar will be white and bald shiny skin and you will WANT to revise it if it is wider than 3-4mm.

Best of luck to you and if you want more advice, post follow up photos of the scar.

There's a noticeable difference in the redness of your scalp between the Week 5 thumbnail and Week 7 thumbnail - it's definately faded.

However, I understand your concern since you and I had our HT at the same time. I bought a bottle of witch hazel today and I'm going to give it a shot for several days to see what happens. Wish me luck!

Rogaine is really a joke and I rarely use it on grafts. Minoxidil does not regrow hair on the front of the head and if it does "jump start" graft growth then it isnt anything major.

I'll have to chime in and say that this is false, balloonman. Minoxidil has given me and others great regrowth thus far coupled with an internal.

Time and again I have said (because it is true) that Rogaine never said that minoxidil DOESNT work on the hairline/temporal region. I feel that it has helped my temporal region greatly.

Minoxidil is a pain in the butt, I'll give you that, but diligence with it will more than likely give pretty good results.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Spock,

First Rogain response is different to each individual-- Balloonman didnt have success with it, however, I've used it for 7 yrs with pretty good success. For most, it really just stops the thinning process and helps you keep what you have. On the HT rec. area, it helps my grafts from going dormant and jump starts the growth. Your placement and design looks good, but I like Balloonman think the scar is too early to tell-- Start using Mecderma 3x a day for the next 10 weeks-- this should help 100% (I've had huge success with this product over the years with donor scars and other scars as well).

As far as the redness, it could be attributed to the 5% Rogaine, Try to cut back using it just 1 time a day instead of 2x--- if it still bothers you, some doctors like Dr. WOng say one can get by on using 5% every other day if it is not well toleraded.

Hope some of this help (you scar will continue to heal over the next year and get better with time).

Guest balloonman

ROBERT: Balloonman is not incorrect. I will direct you to Pfizers own website:

http://www.pfizer.com/do/counter/hair/mn_rogaine_men.html

It clearly states that Rogaine grows hair "on the top of the scalp" "VERTEX ONLY". If it grew hair anywhere else you can bet your ass they would print it in bold and tell the world. Any hair you see growing in your temporal region is a halucination or the results of other meds like Propecia. You can stand firm on your opinions and beliefs and I will stand firm on mine and Pfizers.

Smoothy: I never said I didnt have success with Rogaine. To be honest, it is so messy, greasy and smelly that I discontinued it without giving it a real chance to work. I hate the stuff and would rather be bald then go through that twice a day for the rest of my life.

I also have tons of scars and felt that Mederma was a joke. It is made up of Onion skins, in case you didnt know. That is a product I have used with ZERO results but, some people do swear by it, I swear against it and on a scalp scar it seems like it would be a real pain in the ass.

I do reccomend any of the silicon based scar products like the band aid or neosporin scar tape. It wont work for scalp scars but, it is medically proven on body scars to work and fade scars and it does.

balloonman,

As you so eloquently put it, Rogaine (Pfizer) does not "put it in bold and tell the world" because they have not CONCLUDED in FDA trials that it works in any other place but the vertex.

I have had success in places other than the vertex. Others have had success with minoxidil on the hairline and in the temporal region. Why in the world would you fight this assessment so vehemently? What is it that you think I have to gain from steering anyone wrong by advising them that applying minoxidil to their hairline may help?

What makes you such an angry poster that you have to CONSTANTLY fight every other poster including the moderator of each forum that you post on?

I have allowed you to remain on these forums despite your nasty past habits of posting under aliases (for what reasons I still cannot fathom) because ?? of your posts do seem to reach out and attempt to help other hair loss sufferers.

The other half, however, are getting tiresome very quickly.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I don't want to get involved in a fight over Rogaine, but I will share my experiences with it, because it has successfully grown hair on my hairline and temples.

The problem is the hair wouldn't grow longer than approx. an inch. It grew a big cluster of these inch long hairs at my hairline, so much that the girl who cuts my hair asked "why do you have so much breakage at the front of your hairline, do you blow dry your hair on a really hot setting?" At that point I asked her to shave my head to a #2 and now all those little hairs blend into my hairline quite nicely. Your mileage may vary.

At the same time, I do hate the stuff though, I hate applying it, the greasiness of it, fighting the itchy dandruffy scalp it causes, the stains on the pillow case(my wife really hates that)etc. etc.

Rogaine makes my scalp red even when I'm NOT post-op.

Your grafted hair is dormant for ten to twelve weeks (average) post-op, so when did you start it (and why).

Did your doctor tell you to use Rogaine post-op? If so, talk to him. I think you may have jumped onto it too soon...?

I too have had good luck with Minoxidil. I can't believe anyone would berate it after hearing all the evidence and personal experiences with it.

I don't find it particularly messy either. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I simply spray a little where I want it and rub it into my scalp. What is so messy about that?

Due to repeated requests I replaced the poor week 7 donor area pic with a good week 9 pic of the same. The lighting is good this time. I still feel the donor closure is sub-par. The "gap" from the day of surgery matches the height of the scar. To me this is conclusive evidence of poor closure.

It's not my style to make wild comments or accusations. I'll simply say I'm not impressed and invite comment from others.

The redness continues even after stopping the minoxidil for 4 days and using witch hazel and Aloe for a week. I just have to accept that this is going to take a very long time to go away.

I wasn't explicitly told to use minoxidil post op. I asked him if its good to use post op and he said yes. We did not discuss how long after surgery to start using it. I started with 2% twice a day at day 16 and graduated to 2% in the morning and 5% at night around the 5th week. A few times I stopped for a few days to give it a break. It's possible I started it too soon but not much I can do about that now.