ugly duckling disguise

so I'm getting mentally prepared for a ht, and one of my concerns is the ugly duckling phase for the first few months after transplant, going from less hair to more hair to no hair and then back to more hair again. I'm thinking about how to disguise it especially since I'm anticipating quite a bit of shock loss on my thinned frontal area. I know people have used toppik, but that depends in how much native hair remains. Has anyone used a partial/mini hair system during that waiting phase. A much as I promised myself that I would never wear a piece, I'm thinking this may be a reasonable temporary option. Especially since I'm more of a NW3A and will have most of my work in the frontal area.

Thanks

A few things to point out that may help with suggestions:

- Are you getting FUT or FUE?

- How many grafts?

- How much native hair do you currently have?

- What is your hair to skin colour contrast?

I'm just over 3 months away from my HT and I'm facing the same type of concerns as you.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

My experience was....like you....I was very concerned about the post-op ugly duckling phase but it turned out to not be that big of a deal. Not sure why...because there was an ugly duckling phase....but it just seemed like to me that after going through the surgery it almost like toughens you up to deal with the post-op....plus once you are post-op you are the road to improvement and most everyone is very positive about improvement.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I'm leaning toward FUE, but not sure.

~1500 grafts, mostly to the frontal and hairline since I'm pretty well covered in the crown.

Dark hair, moderately light skin.

The way I see it-FUE will help initially since I can buzz cut my hair (which I have done plenty in the past) and it should look fine. However, if I do lose most or all of the thinning hairs in the front I could go close to slick bald for a couple of months. That's pretty concerning.

Any thoughts or successful disguises?

i had my surgery about 11 days ago and have the same prob, VERY thin hair is the front where the hair was transplanted,, if i had to bet money, id say that thin hair aint comin back,, it was prob gonna fall out within a year anyway, go buy some hat and some shoes to match for a few months and you will be fine, remember not to get sun in your head it will discolor the scars forever

I think propecia can definitely decrease your chances of shockloss both permanent and temporary. As for wearing a hair piece post-op I don't think that is an option as it will more than likely damage the new grafts.