Okay, I have been taking Finasteride for 2 weeks and have already begun noticing a shedding. Before Finasteride I wasn't taking anything, just using rogaine monoxidil 5% foam for about a year and noticed my hair got a little thicker, but still lost some of my temples. I had a dramatic slowing of shedding to almost a normal shedding phase but a good amount of hairs would fall out if I were to rub my head hard or something like that.

im 22, and in 2 weeks into finsteride and my shedding has gotten 5 time worse!! When I come my hair I notice tons of hairs falling out, I haven't noticed this much hair falling out since the starting of my balding. I'm a norwood 3 and I plan on getting a hair transplant sometime in 6-8 months, so I was woundering:

should I continue Finasteride if it is causing so much of my hair to fall out?

Is this kind of shedding normal this early into taking it?

How long is this shedding gonna last?

Is it worth it to keeping taking this drug?

-Thanks

Edited by bmorelaxing

Bmore,

Finasteride is associated with an initial phase that can last for the first 3-4 months of treatment. Altogether, only a medical professional can tell you whether or not you should continue or discontinue a medication. Frankly, I would visit the physician who wrote the original prescription, and discuss the issue with him/her.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

But is finasteride worth the reward for long time success? Can I get a hair transplant without having to take it?

You can get a HT without being on Fin. However, there are a few trade offs in that you are doing nothing about preventing further loss to existing hair. The 'reward' for being on Fin is that you stand a very good chance of holding onto your existing hair for a much longer period of time, as opposed to letting nature take its course.

There is no black or white as such. There are many senior posters on here who have had several HTs over the years and they have never used Fin. They are aware of the pros and cons to taking this route.

If I were to guess, most top docs would prefer their patients to be on the drug as opposed to not being on it.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3