900 grafts for hairline from Dr. Keene

Hey everybody, I see a lot of people just give the facts on their experience but I wanted to share a little more for those who are thinking, worried or on the fence about getting a procedure done.

First off, Im a 42yo guy of mixed descent with accompanying hormonal problems - so yeah, my hair's a mess. I noticed some hair loss thinning maybe 10 years ago but again with the thyroid/adrenal problems,often the hair would grow back so I got used to living with these seasonal cycles. Problem was, some of the hair wasn't growing back or was growing back small, thinner and weaker. It took a few comments from a stranger and my wise-assed sister to really let me know -hey bro,your forehead (which is big) is crawling up into your top dome.

I've always been considered a pretty good looking guy but I'm also one of those guys that's looks get really distorted when I lose my hairline -yes, I've shaved my head many years ago and actually it looked good ashy -WITH, the proper hairline! Now, it just highlights megadome headman.

So I became obsessed with just hiding that front hairline -hats, Toppick etc.. along with rogaine/Prop. Helps for a while but I started becoming known as the guy that always wears the hat at the gym :/

And Toppick did a good job of somewhat concealing my rapidly increasing widow's peak but as Im in the fitness industry as well as a sports grappler -can make for some messy and embarrassing moments. Of course my wife denied ever noticing but we all know how that works..

So I began first researching sites like these and finally after pulling out hair after hair every morning -got some financing and started calling surgeons. One thing that I became a little obsessed afraid of was of course -the strip scar. I wanted FUE. But shockingly, almost every doctor I talked to try to talk me out of it. I just read so many threads with "Whatever you do -DONT do strip!!!! You'll regret it!!"

That stuck and I was determined. After doctors saw my hair type pics -which again is mixed race sometimes flat and straight sometimes wildly bushy -they warned that FUE probably wasn't an option. Of all the doctors I talked to, Sharon Keene was by far the most informative and spent the most time answering every question. Although I lived a full State away and had limited funds -we opted to try the 800 FUE and if it didn't work -I'd either lose deposit or decide to go strip. Worked for me.

My anxiety after watching actually strip procedures online intensified until I was having nightmares about it -no 2 valiums was going to be able to stave that off!

When I finally booked trip and arrived, I was a little surprised the Doctor didn't meet with me beforehand. I needed a little reassurance and pep talking and was hoping for maybe some computer images of "This is what YOU WILL look like!".Instead it was, "lets go wash shampoo your head and get you ready" from the assistants. Dr.Keene finally showed up and said "Your hairs too curly -your 99% gonna need the strip". I went full red alert with anxiety. She was willing to try a few FUE's to see if they took but was visibly annoyed when I stated that if it didn't take, I'd forfeit the deposit and walk.

Yikes. Not a good way to start-lol. Thankfully, one of her very capable assistants said "Look, the scar will be hidden under your hair on the top side of the head and only be like 3 inches". I wanted to believe her but knew they also had day's pay on the line. Anyways, the FUE did not take and I bit the bullet and said "lets go strip".

From that point on -it was pure professionalism. No, 2 valiums didn't quell my anxiety (a little) and my fast metabolism kept eating thru their anesthesia but nothing hurt -at all. Dr. Keene is extremely proficient and pretty interesting to talk to if not a bit clinical but her assistants funny, warm conversation tempered that with jokes and reassuring small talk.

TL/DR? They gave me an extra 100 grafts and refunded the money difference of the FUE and the scar? Its like nothing! I mean that -my wife's always like -"wait, where is it again?" Its only been 3 weeks since the procedure but just the darkness the grafts give to my hairline appearance already have me outta my hat -and that's a HUGE statement coming from the hat guy. Honestly I would have like if we could have feathered some of those grafts to the area directly behind the hairline but she said those hair looked to strong still and it might incur shock. Guess Ill find out in a few months, but never again would I sit and wait just getting miserable over day to day hair loss -do something about it! I should have done this sooner.

• 6 months later...

LOL well at 7.5 months a lot has changed -just recently but very rapidly in fact! First off I'd like to kick myself for the whole "I don't need a hat anymore..the Hat Guy" jubilance I conveyed in my 1st post. It's tru that the initial darkening of my recess by the procedure did make me feel better in kind of a tattooed effect -but I then went thru many months of misery and doubt. I also was pretty harsh on Dr. Keene and doubted the results but I'm here to say that is *finally* starting to look REALLY good!

The left side was really lagging and I was really starting to doubt it would ever show up but it has and I am extraordinarily grateful. This is current and with zero toppik!

1385699297943_zps9682b04c.jpg

I owe the good Doctor a strong apology and am glad to be eating crow :P

PS- finally made an album with some Pre.

Amish,

Looks great! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for replies -guess I needed some feedback :/

Yep Greatjob, I have to admit she really knew what she was doing all along with only 900 grafts. I should post the picture of that literal 'hole in my hairline' that was present on my left temple side up until literally a few weeks ago. Thought I was going to have to live a life of dumping topikk to fill the hole but as others pointed out here all the time -give it a wee bit more time -still some maturing to go. I didn't believe them -now I do.