Swelling won't leave

It's my 6th day post op and the swelling won't go away, by the end of the day it goes down but then when I goto bed I can't sleep on the staples so I sleep on my face only to wake up the next day all swollen , any advice

try sleeping upright with a travel pillow? i did that for 3 nights or however long....no swelling at all

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

do you guys think sleeping on my face is whats causing this?

Most likely. During the day our head is upright, and our body gets help from gravity. The excess fluids then get distributed through your system, and with time will eventually be excreted or absorbed. However we sleep for nearly as many hours as we're awake; so if you're not allowing your body to easily redistribute those fluids while asleep, it'll take more time.

I too slept sitting up and had very minimal swelling that was gone by day 3.

Yes sleeping on your stomach at that stage can cause your swelling to be a bit worse and prolonged but it's nothing to worry about. You should take an anti-inflammatory like advil before bed and try to put something on your pillow to cushion the area where you staples are so it won't hurt as much. You should sleep at about a 40-45 degree angle and a travel pillow really does work quite well to keep your head comfortable and in an upright position. This shouldn't last more than another day or two when doing that.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Now that you already have the swelling, sleeping upright would be the best thing for you. I generally have my patients sleep on back at 20-25 degree angle so if there is any swelling it will spread out and not settle only in the facial region.