Should I rub the scabs off?

I am 5 and a half weeks post op. Still have a good amount of grafts/scabs in the recipient area.

Could all that scabbing actually hinder growth? Should I gently remove them or is there a chance the remaining grafts will catch on and start to grow?

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

I've been shampooing it. More aggressive on the sides/back, but very gentle on the top/recipient area.

Can there be any negative to having left the scabs on my head this long? Should I start to slowly rub them off?

Yes, rub them off, after 5 weeks they should be gone. Hasn`t your surgeon briefed you on that? I can`t answer if growth will be affected after 5 weeks with scabs, but I don`t think you should worry about. Perhaps someone else can answer this?

Yes, rub them off, after 5 weeks they should be gone. Hasn`t your surgeon briefed you on that? I can`t answer if growth will be affected after 5 weeks with scabs, but I don`t think you should worry about. Perhaps someone else can answer this?

So I washed my hair normally tonight for the first time. A LOT of scabs and grafts came off. I'll continue to shampoo regularly from here on out.

Lets hope that leaving the scabs on this long won't negatively affect my hair/grafts/scalp.

So I washed my hair normally tonight for the first time. A LOT of scabs and grafts came off. I'll continue to shampoo regularly from here on out.

Lets hope that leaving the scabs on this long won't negatively affect my hair/grafts/scalp.

Hahaha! Yeah, I'd try not to worry about it; but that's easier said then done. Our mind and imagination are our worst enemies. With 'em we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. It's pretty natural to keep second guessing and worrying. I was in the same boat as you but on the opposite spectrum. I started gently massaging the recipient area when the tiny little white scabs started appearing at approx 7 days post, per my Dr's. instructions. Ever since then I keep wondering if I started too early, too rough, not rough enough, etc.etc

Even if we're told explicitly to do this, it's perfectly normal if X happens, blah blah blah... we'll probably end up worrying that we're the exception to the rule anyway.

Keep your head and follicles up!