Am i good candidate for a hair transplant?

Hi my name is Jag and I am 18 years old. When i was young i used to tie my hair up as many sikhs did into a turban. When i turned 12 i stopped wearing a turban and cut my hair however, me and my family then noticed that i was missing a ton of hair from the front of my scalp. I am now deciding to get a hair transplant as my hair has been one of the reasons i have had low self-esteem my entire life. I have attached some images and was wondering if i was a good candidate for a hair transplant and how much the price tag would be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43642&stc=1&d=1366926816

attachment.php?attachmentid=43643&stc=1&d=1366926816

attachment.php?attachmentid=43644&stc=1&d=1366926816

image201304250001.jpg.bded468c13bb66eadef398aee6cbd5e1.jpg

image201304250002.jpg.411514161805a8d72c3bc7d7f63d6a8b.jpg

image201304250003.jpg.66a1084e63dee97ed1aaad56cd7401d9.jpg

Hmmm could be a case of traction alopecia from wearing the turban for a prolonged time? 18 is too young for a procedure in my opinion because you have alot of existing hair behind it that you may or may not loss which makes it hard to predict how conservative or aggressive to go... 18 is just too young.. for many doctors, your age alone prohibits you from being a candidate...

Hmmm could be a case of traction alopecia from wearing the turban for a prolonged time? 18 is too young for a procedure in my opinion because you have alot of existing hair behind it that you may or may not loss which makes it hard to predict how conservative or aggressive to go... 18 is just too young.. for many doctors, your age alone prohibits you from being a candidate...

Thank you for replying. Also yes it is a case of traction alopecia and i hoped that my hair would grow as soon as my cut my hair. A little grew back but in the end the difference was barely visible. So you're saying that i could lose more hair if i got a hair transplant at this age? That sucks :l

Getting a hair transplant wont make you lose more hair. The thing is you are very young and everyone has a finite amount of hair in the 'safe zone' that can be used in their whole lifetime. The number of grafts usually ranges from 5000 to 9000(very rough figure. If you went and got 2000 grafts implanted now and then continued to lose more hair, you may not have enough grafts for a cosmetically natural and acceptable look. I do feel for you champ :(

Some docs may be willing to do a HT but only in very exceptional circumstances, e.g. the very negative effect this loss has on your life (I guess they may need pyschiatric reports), limited family history of hair loss, and perhaps a commitment to take Finasteride for the resto of your life.

They may even want to involve family members in the consultation process.

Only then I could see the possibility of 1000-1500 FUE grafts in the hairline.

If I were you I would exhaust all other options first: different haircut, concealers, etc etc

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Ok i see now. Isn't there a method where they can use hair from other parts of the body? Would that solve the problem?

Unfortunately it's your age that is the obstacle ..

This is a very common problem among Sikhs. You could definitely have an HT, but that would depend on your family history of hair loss. If you have a family history, then I would wait till your mid twenties before considering a procedure.

The canadian clinics will presumably have a lot of experience with this given the Sikh population.

Some docs may be willing to do a HT but only in very exceptional circumstances, e.g. the very negative effect this loss has on your life (I guess they may need pyschiatric reports), limited family history of hair loss, and perhaps a commitment to take Finasteride for the resto of your life.

They may even want to involve family members in the consultation process.

Only then I could see the possibility of 1000-1500 FUE grafts in the hairline.

If I were you I would exhaust all other options first: different haircut, concealers, etc etc

I have tried everything but nothing works. Also i can't get my hair wet or it reveals everything (when my hair is wet it looks 100x worse) and i have to put my head down when walking in the wind. I also have horrible hair styles and can never spike my hair up. It has brought my confidence down a lot and has affected my life in a very negative way. I live in the GTA and i guess there are reputable HT surgeons in Toronto. If any of you could recommend anyone that would be great as i would like a consultation to see what they have to say. Thanks to everyone for responding and trying to help.

Go see Dr Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group. A very ethical guy

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day