Treating Traction Alopecia with FUE?

Traction

Hi,

I have CVG and traction alopecia. Due to the CVG, I have decided against the strip procedure. This is to limit any pain or tightness afterwards.

I have consulted with Dr Bhatti and I have been happy with his professionalism of answering my questions. I would need 3000-3500 grafts.

I am 30 years old, with the level of traction alopecia being consistent for 15 years. I am looking to rebuild the sides and create a hairline.

5b32d80a2a167_1(2).jpg.d4dff76247db7bb084c621d7dfb5a610.jpg

5b32d80aa796f_2(2).jpg.fa297bb6294dee415f061727688eeaa0.jpg

4.jpg.fc2de98de51f2e0837b1d4acb1d95f7c.jpg

9.jpg.8d53922d53976e3f9c70dff9607c8195.jpg

1.jpg.a81971aa5904a46010ea04cf9589408b.jpg

2.jpg.93b6b7d98cd222cdb674f55f0f6ad6f7.jpg

6.jpg.e28cac7f96e096e470cc17595feb82b0.jpg

7.jpg.2de7e6fc90738a5bfcc7b81e61776c30.jpg

8.jpg.d02d00872bff624d2463ee58cb8b62f7.jpg

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

Traction,

Traction alopecia (which in your case I assume is likely from wearing some sort of head wrapping for a number of years) is defined as a type of non-scarring, focal hair loss. Because of this, hair transplant surgery is an appropriate treatment. Frankly, I'm not sure if the CVG is a contraindication to hair transplantation, nor am I sure whether FUT would actually cause scalp tightness after the procedure.

Where are you located? I've seen Dr. Cooley post some information (and examples) about CVG in the past, so he may be a good reference. Additionally, I'd recommend consulting with several hair transplant surgeons before scheduling a procedure, as your case is definitely a bit unique.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the response. The alopecia was caused by tight pulling on the hair when I was younger, and then having to wear a turban exasperated it.

After consulting a dermatologist in the UK, I was told there is nothing that can be done because the CVG is not severe enough.

After many years and months of researching I am thinking of going with Dr Bhatti for the FUE. 3500 would be sufficient to fill in the sides and create a hairline to frame my face. I am realistic with my expecations, something akin to this would be good:

**outside link removed by moderator**

After living with the same level of hair loss for 15 years, it would be a godsend to do away with the hairpiece and be free!

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

Traction,

Did the surgeon you're considering say that the CVG could be an issue? I know repairing the traction alopecia with hair transplantation isn't unheard of, but I'm wondering whether or not the CVG would make it more difficult and indicate the need for consultations from several physicians before scheduling?

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The Dr has said the CVG won't be an issue. I have consulted with other top doctors over the years that have said it also wont be a problem. But due to having CVG, I wouldn't risk the invasive procedure at this moment in time. The ironic thing is that my scalp has good laxity.

If I didn't have the CVG I would just shave my head. I've considered it recently, but it looks abnormal having the sides and top completely bald. So by filling in the sides and top, hopefully it will draw less attention.

Do you think achieving something similar to this is possible?

http://www.les-films.fr/IMG/jpg/60th_festival_cannes_2007_the_golden_compass_photocall_daniel_craig.jpg

Do I think it is possible for you to become 007? No, not likely ; )

Do I think you can achieve a result similar to the other traction alopecia cases I've seen shared on the forums over the years? Yes. Like I said before, as long as the other surgeons do not think the CVG will play a role in the final yield, then I see no reason why you couldn't achieve an impressive result.

Are you considering consulting with any other surgeons?