Thinking out loud - philosophy on surgery

You are correct. Androgenic alopecia is a progressive condition and there is no hair loss cure. This is the very reason why hair transplants are not recommended for very young balding men and also why most hair restoration surgeons highly recommend medically stabilizing hair loss with Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil).

The older we become, the easier it is to more accurately judge just how far on the Norwood scale our hair loss will progress. This helps doctors and patients agree on a long-term plan that will make the best use of grafts in order provide for adequate donor hair to address future balding. Medical treatments can prolong the life of existing hair and, in some cases, even regrow hair. The right patient with the right plan can achieve a natural and aesthetically pleasing result that will last a lifetime.

It's important to remember that not everyone is a candidate for surgical hair restoration. Patients have to find a skilled and ethical hair transplant surgeon that they trust to give them the best advice.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the response, I think you have managed to balance the whole philosophy in that paragraph. So the name of the game is how do you manage your donor into what hairstyle that suits you.

Probably subjective to each individual.

"I think you have managed to balance the whole philosophy in that paragraph. So the name of the game is how do you manage your donor into what hairstyle that suits you"

Until hair cloning becomes reality...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

A good question. It is something you have to get straight in your own mind before committing to anything.

In my own case I've lost most of my frontal 3rd, probably 70% of the middle and some at the back.

I just want to get a good hairline and enjoy the rest of my 30s and hopefully 40s. I've accepted that I may need to go back and fill in these areas in 10 years time.

That scenario for me is far better than shaving my head now and being miserable for the next 20 years!

Roll on hair cloning...

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day