Best strategy for post op hair length

It's just a little over two weeks until I have my procedure with Dr Rahal. I'll be getting 3000 grafts or so into the frontal third (with the usual requirement for the recipient area to be shaved).

At the moment my hair is maybe 1.5 inches long and I'm wondering what I should do with it after the procedure.

I know many guys just shave the rest of their head down to a 1 guard to keep things even, but I wondered about keeping it longer. My own timescales are something like this:

- 5 weeks post op. I will start to see friends again (can wear a cap here, although it is not something I normally do so could seem a bit odd)

- 10 weeks post op. I will return to work (probably can't wear a cap here)

I'd like to have the scar mostly covered by week 5 (but certainly by the time I return to work). Ideally, I want the recipient area to look 'normal', but I think that will need a lot of luck. Having longer hair offers more options I think.

Any advice on what I should do with my hair post op? I don't really want it to look uneven either so I think it should be shortened a bit.

SG

It's just a little over two weeks until I have my procedure with Dr Rahal. I'll be getting 3000 grafts or so into the frontal third (with the usual requirement for the recipient area to be shaved).

At the moment my hair is maybe 1.5 inches long and I'm wondering what I should do with it after the procedure.

I know many guys just shave the rest of their head down to a 1 guard to keep things even, but I wondered about keeping it longer. My own timescales are something like this:

- 5 weeks post op. I will start to see friends again (can wear a cap here, although it is not something I normally do so could seem a bit odd)

- 10 weeks post op. I will return to work (probably can't wear a cap here)

I'd like to have the scar mostly covered by week 5 (but certainly by the time I return to work). Ideally, I want the recipient area to look 'normal', but I think that will need a lot of luck. Having longer hair offers more options I think.

Any advice on what I should do with my hair post op? I don't really want it to look uneven either so I think it should be shortened a bit.

SG

Scottish guy,

and going to work 10 weeks post op ? How did u achieved this :P

Nice job...10 weeks off!

I don't know to break this to you....but you will be quite abnormal for the next few months, probably 6-8 months. There isn't much you can do.

This is the sacrifice you will have to do, in order to get back your hair.

Best advice is to cut down your hair (half inch)before the operation to make it less conspicous.

take care...

Originally posted by Tsakalos:

is he goint to transplant between existing hairs ? if not u dont need shaving the top.

and going to work 10 weeks post op ? How did u achieved this :P

There will be some work behind the hairline to strengthen I imagine.

I'm in-between jobs - redundancy can have a few positive benefits icon_smile.gif

To mmhce> I realise it will take a long time for all the transplanted hair to grow in. I'm really just hoping to look normal again by month 3 (I realise I will need a certain amount of good luck).

Why not look for a surgeon that does not require you to shave? Post op. apperance is by far my biggest concern

Scott,

Please don't choose your surgeon on the basis of this.

P.S. Buzzing down the top in order for the surgeon to work faster/more efficiently is better.

take care...

I agree, Shave it down and I did for mine. No big deal after 10 weeks. People I work with thought I had just gotten a buzz cut. I had a bald spot. I am in my mid thirties and there are a lot of guys that have some degree of hairloss by then. Shaving wouldn't be uncommon.

Yes! I would want to make it as easy as possible for the doctor to get the BEST result I could Especially if you are getting a 3000 plus graph Mega session. With Rahal you will stand a good chance to get more than that.

Just so you know hair grows about 1/2 inch per month so if you shave down by week 5 you should be equivalent to having shaved to a #5. (Except for possible redness in recipient, donor, shockloss and transplanted hairs having fallen out.) The scar won't be mature for 6 months so there wil be a more redness and hair around the scar will therefore have to be longer to cover it.

To state the obvious if you shave it takes time to reverse it. Do it early or don't do it at all.