Crown loss: query

Hi,

I just have a quick question for you guys. I am a 27 1/2 year old male and have really only noticed my thinning crown in the last 1-2 years when someone mentioned it. It may have thinned slightly before that but I didn't notice it.

I have taken finasteride since last summer and in June it will be 13 months and I have noticed no improvement in my crown. One of my corners had receeded but minoxidil has tidied that up a good bit and it's filling in a lot better now. But still my crown hasn't responded to either finasteride or minoxidil. I think it's thinning laterally.

What should I do? It's slightly depressing as I look very young but am thinning!

Thanks a million :)

5b32d7cddcd7b_aug2012.jpg.b668f101ec153f5a76676039166d6ea8.jpg

5b32d7cf50109_april2013.JPG.8c60942b06f9462dd3cffdd9d450459e.JPG

Hi,

I just have a quick question for you guys. I am a 27 1/2 year old male and have really only noticed my thinning crown in the last 1-2 years when someone mentioned it. It may have thinned slightly before that but I didn't notice it.

I have taken finasteride since last summer and in June it will be 13 months and I have noticed no improvement in my crown. One of my corners had receeded but minoxidil has tidied that up a good bit and it's filling in a lot better now. But still my crown hasn't responded to either finasteride or minoxidil. I think it's thinning laterally.

What should I do? It's slightly depressing as I look very young but am thinning!

Thanks a million :)

All you can do is continue with the meds as there is no point transplanting into that region (AKA the 'black hole' of transplantation).

A few shakes of Nanogen or Toppik will hide it if you're self conscious.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Just to clarify, are you saying that after 13 months of using finasteride that your crown had further "visible" loss? Or does it look the same?

If it looks the same, it may in fact be working to keep it from breaking up further. From my observations over the years, minoxidil is more prevalent in inducing some new growth, not as much from finasteride.

So even if you can stabilize further loss in your crown, it is a good thing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's 13 months in 2 months I think. I think the thinning has increased despite being on finasteride. I am under a lot of stress since starting school last Sept so I am unsure if that aggravated the situation aswell.

Would it be wise to move to duasteride when my 13 months of meds is up?

Yes, a period of high stress that goes unmanaged can contribute to hairloss known as stress alopecia but IMHO, probably has little to do with your crown loss and may be more atrributable to the progression of loss based on your genetic timeclock.

I would seriously only consider DUT under the supervision and direction of a reputable doctor.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

A few shakes of Nanogen will hide it if you're self conscious.

beammeup until you decide exactly what you are going to do, I would highly recommend getting a can of Nanogen. I assure you that you will be shocked at how effective it is. Your spot is so small it would not need much, but you'd see a huge difference. I have a friend that has a crown like yours, but possibly slightly bigger bald spot. I ordered him a can of black color Nanogen and sprinkled it on for him....he was floored. His bald spot was gone. I was very leery of concealers in general, but the Nanogen fibers have been a great addition for me.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/ST-112/Nanogen-Nanofibres/

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/121/Nanogen-Locking-Mist/

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.