Fractional Laser for HT scar resurfacing

I had my HT done in 2010 and it was OK at that time as I still had considerable amount my native hair. Now the native hair is gone and TOPPIK and Dermatch are not effective enough to conceal my thinning. I am seriously contemplating on shaving my head. However, I have to address the issue of my scar. It is not that bad but would still be noticeable on a shaved head. My scar is mostly raised all along.

Has anyone here used Fractional laser treatment for scar resurfacing? I hope the treatment followed by SMP on the scar would make it invisible. There are a lot of discussions about this on HIS hair clinic forum, but I do not see any here.

Please share your opinions and results if you had laser treatment along with SMP for scar reduction.

Front.jpg.8cd8c328cd3ddd1eb6ae8c6e0367e00c.jpg

5b32d7ca2e3cc_Side2.jpg.5fb718a57acde77609dc110961b384a5.jpg

Side1.jpg.0193219c9c9a752b0a269d8667a0c3c9.jpg

top.jpg.3779ec915cb23691391316dfee2ac862.jpg

Back.jpg.ab5af8fe1ade1e46bf4308cad40141e6.jpg

Edited by Torip

welcome to the forum,, why dont you post some pics im curious as to what your situation looks like, i mean of the top of your head, also why not go for more hts and get more hair?

Uploaded my pics to the previous post.

First, how old are you. It is very unusual to lose that much hair that fast in middle aged guys. You should be careful on what you decide to do if your hair is changing that fast as far as smp (meaning plan for a touch up). If you plan on shaving your head with a razor, I have heard of pretty good things on the fractional laser. While I have heard that it doesn't make the scar disappear by any means, it softens and drops raised scars to an extent.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Explore all options before jumping into something. Although most of us who had transplants now know that. Im in the same boat but I already had one FUE into my scar so Im worried what any laser treatment might do to the grafts within the scar. I have been using silicone strips to treat my scar as I am going in for a temporary SMP next month to conceal my scar along with some filling in on my scalp.

I doubt whether fractional lasers affect hair follicles.

Here is a link where some doctors are saying hair follicles are not damaged by fractional lasers.

**outside link removed by moderator**

In addition, laser hair removal is usually done with laser wavelengths in the range 480-1064nm. Which implies hair follicles may mainly absorb in these wavelengths. On the other hand, fractional lasers are ~10000nm CO2 laser and ~3000nm Er-YAG lasers. Light at these wavelengths may not be absorbed by hair follicles. I wish a dermatologist on this forum confirms that.

Overall, if hair follicles are not damaged I do not see any problems with fractional laser treatment. If it can alter thescar tissue in to somewhat normal tissue it helps with better retainment of SMP ink. I think ink retinment is a significant issue with SMP on scars.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc