FUT: Staples or Sutures

If you do a search, there are several good threads on this. Top surgeons get really good results with both. In my FUT Dr. Shapiro used staples and I had a great scar result. He also uses sutures at times. So, I think it is really preference of the surgeon....the key being to choose a top clinic.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I really have no solid opinion on this matter... I have seen stretched scars from both methods but probably less from staples. I have seen some shoddy suture work from some renowned surgeons though. Staples seem to eradicate the room for error that is inherent with sutures. I did read the sutures can cause strangulation of the follicles underneath resulting in the 'traintrack' look but have I have seen that with staples too.... I don't believe there is a general consensus as to which method is better....

Where have you seen train track scarring with staples? I have looked I cannot find any.

I have seen them in photos that a member sent to me in private. His scarred was stretched and he went for a repair and while the scar improved, the traintracking was still evident. Instead of a linear and vertical (up/down) traintrack, it was more a circle/dot above and below the scar.

I would vote for staples, most doctors with great scars using staples. They don't leave ugly train track marks. I even demanded using the staple with the doctor I'm going to for scar revision.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I have two strip scars, one done by a lousy doc using sutures, the other by a top doc using staples. Both scars have stretched a bit. Conclusion: it's just my physiology.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

socates, Unfortunately it's one of the X factors in HT surgery. The best you can do is go with a top doctor, or, opt for FUE surgery.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

So you have not seen train track scarring from staples. Just some dots. That is a big difference and these dots are hearsay at this point since you saw them in private.

indeed there is a difference between 'traintracks' and empty dots of hair above and below the scar. i should have been more specific. and yes it is hearsay to you and everyone else currently because it was true a private photo but it does not negate that I(myself) have seen it. i will try and find public examples for you to view.

So you have not seen train track scarring from staples. Just some dots. That is a big difference and these dots are hearsay at this point since you saw them in private.

I found a public case of staple scarring quite easily. I'm going to PM it to you. I will find more for you. Granted they are less evident than sutures given the inherent nature of the staple technique(they do no run underneath the scalp for nearly as long as sutures do) and I should have been clearer.

Hi Orlhair1,

Thanks for your response. My back is diffuse hence I wonder about staples vs sutures.

In the event that I shave the back, which will be less evident?

if the rear of the donor is diffue you might want to be conservative. how many grafts do you need? what norwoord pattern are you? hiding a fut with a diffuse donor will be difficult and will limit how short you can cut your hair. something to definitely be aware of.

FUE does not have to be expensive at all. With the recent addition of Dr Hakan his price is just below North America FUT prices per graft. Dr De Reys also charges much less than his European colleagues but is not yet recommended on this very forum.