Generic Propecia is Now Available in the US

TakingThePlunge

It appears as if generic Propecia (1mg finasteride) is now on sale in US pharmacies. I checked with my local pharmacy and they are selling it at a pretty steep $80.95 for 30 tablets. Not much cheaper than the real thing but I've seen lower prices from Costco, Target and Walmart posted online also.

The current supply is produced by Dr. Reddy's and they have a 180 day exclusive. During that time, we can expect prices to remain fairly high but I imagine that will change in July when that deal expires.

For more on this or Propecia in general, see:

Generic Alternative to Hair Loss Drug Propecia (1mg Finasteride) Now Available in the United States

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I agree. I can't understand how a company like Dr. Reddy's or anyone can get an exclusive to sell only their generic at inflated prices for six months. It defeats the purpose of having a generic. It is essentially a slightly less expensive name brand in this case.

Hopefully, once that initial period ends, prices will drop substantially and the era of pill cutting will finally come to an end.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

I wonder if losing that .25mg will make any difference. I don't think it will, but any thoughts on that?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

I personally don't believe the added .25mg makes any difference. When I was taking generic finasteride, I was following a MWF schedule. If I ever start it again and the 1mg becomes affordable, I would consider starting with .5mg daily.

Boba, that's a pretty good price for the name brand stuff but still outrageously expensive in my opinion. Given my personal income, I couldn't justify the expense as compared to $9 for 30 tablets of 5mg finasteride yielding a 4 month supply. My hope is that generic 1mg will eventually come down to a cost that makes it an attractive option for those who cannot afford the high cost of Propecia.

Spanker,

Boba, that's a pretty good price for the name brand stuff but still outrageously expensive in my opinion. Given my personal income, I couldn't justify the expense as compared to $9 for 30 tablets of 5mg finasteride yielding a 4 month supply. My hope is that generic 1mg will eventually come down to a cost that makes it an attractive option for those who cannot afford the high cost of Propecia.

On the same boat as you, but unfortunately, my family doctor will not prescribe me 5mg generics as the pharmacist she called told her that the drug will oxidize (or something of that nature) if it is cut in quarters.....

Hopefully by when the Reddy agreement ends in half a year, we can expect other companies to start mass producing these and induce market competition.

• 1 year later...