Propecia: a warning...

Duncanworried

I am 38, I have been takng propecia 1mg every day for 7-8 months with regaine foam. I heard about the warnings but carried on with the treatment out of vanity and fear of losing my hair - a woman will never look at me again if I am bald! In the UK you can purchase it online with a self-diagnosis and I got on with it. I started to notice that the mass-evacuation of hair at the front of my hairline had stopped and the general appearance had got thicker and new darker hairs were beginning to emerge in areas of receding hair at the front of my head. But.....

But, there were rather disturbing side effects. I have been very demotivated at work (this was pointed out by my boss in a yearly review); my sex drive had actually increased - worringly so - but the power of orgasm was minimal, there is an itch I cannot scratch!; my head felt very disconnected and distant from ''me'', and I felt spaced out a lot of the time and events would drift pass as I sat there; I became reclusive and wouldn't go out. This feeling in my head was put down, by me (I am not a doctor), as winter blues but the feelings intensified. I felt like a stranger in my own head and that forced me to drag myself back to dramatic realisation that I needed to see a doctor.

I produced propecia to my GP and she was surprised that I could buy this myself via a reputable British pharmacy, and she was staggered that it was used for hair retention purposes. She said that each individual will react to any hormonal imbalance differently but she compared it to being pregnant or pre-menstural. These are very powerful drugs, guys. I have had experience of clubbing drugs and the effects that I personally experienced are akin to a comedown that lasts 4-5 weeks.

I acknowledge that some of you have used it for years without issue but I feel in necessary to share my experiences with you. If you start to feel ''diferent'' and not like how you normally are, stop it immediatey and try to stop bating yourself up about losing your hair. I am finished with the obsession of vanity and I am going to go with what my body is doing. I feel for you guys in your late teens and early 20s but PLEASE put your health first.

Duncan

p.s. I started to see growth after 6 months, but I stopped takin it on March 12th 2013

Edited by Duncanworried
date clarification

Many thanks for your feedback....I was thinking about starting this med but after reading your post it has put me off.

Jayukdht, please read about the nature of hormones and what they are for. I only did this after I had used Propecia. Make your own decision but be clear about what you want in life.

It's possible to have a bad reaction like Duncanworried and lots of others

but it's also possible to have a good reaction like me and many others. I've been on it for 3 years with no sides and good results.

You wont know how it works for you unless you try. I'd never recommend anyone to do anything based on how it works for me - there's no way of telling if you'll be like me of if you'll be like Duncanworried. It's a risk you have to weigh up and decide if you want to take it or not. Personally I'm glad I went for it but I suppose it could easily have gone the other way. You never know until you try.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Not that I'm trying to play down your experience, Duncan. That sounds horrible - how long til you started noticing those effects?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I've been taking Propecia for years with no real side effects and think I would be significantly balder had I not been taking it.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

In the UK you can purchase it online with a self-diagnosis

I produced propecia to my GP and she was surprised that I could buy this myself via a reputable British pharmacy, and she was staggered that it was used for hair retention purposes12th 2013

Hi Duncan, do you mind if I asked where you purchased your Propecia from in th Uk.

Thanks

I've been taking Propecia for years with no real side effects and think I would be significantly balder had I not been taking it.

Then why do take a medication that at the best can give half baldness instead of full baldness with impotency as a bonus?

Did he say he was half bald and impotent?

Sometimes; I think, propecia might interfere with other medicine in your body. Anyways, I tried to accept the fact im balding, and I had shaved my hair by a razor. I looked horrible and my bone structure didnt help at all. Also, I knew that propecia is a very risky drug, my doctor prescribed it for me. Ive had side effects initially, and they are gone now ( most of them). Ive been taking it for months ( 3 packages in total) and stills no results but massive shedding.

Duncan,

I had similar mental side affects from Finasteride. It is called Brain fog or cognitive dysfunction. Read the wiki page on Finasteride, especially "Cause of mood-related and sexual side affects". However, try a lower dose of Fin, for example, 0.5mg twice a week. For me that seems tolerable without the side affects.

i have taking propecia more than one year..the results was exxelent..i stopped loosing hair and my hair is much much better..i have noticed that my sperm gone waterly and the morning erections is very rarely...sometimes during sex i lost my erection...i ask an adrologist and told me to stop it immediattly...i ask an urologist and told me is not a problem..i make anylazes all my hormons is normal but my sperm is a little weak.(i have to say here that i had erection problems and before propecia)

..nothing to concern he told me and that is ok to continue...but i read all these scary side effects and i stopped it for two weeks now...my erections are better and the morning erections start again...the scary thing is that i start to losing many hair again...i really dont know what to do and which doctor i have to believe...any help pls?? if i would know that my side effects are these i can deal with that and defenetly continue propecia...do you think that i can take that risk?