Taking the plunge!

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Yes, I'm yet another HT noob! Bravely going where many of you have gone before me. I've readied myself reading spex's prep guide, and have done months/years of research. However I come to you all seeking your wisdom and personal experience. Cut to the chase: I have some specifics I hope y'all can help me with! :cool:

1) The morning of your HT, what type of soap/shampoo did you use to wash your hair/scalp? Have any recommendations? I figure nothing fancy or with conditioner right?

2) HATS! Any specific type of hats you found to work well, AND look stylish? Are there hats to avoid? Also, other methods of covering/protecting the recipient area? (Not concealers, more like is it okay to wear something under a hat to protect from snags etc)

3) The day after: How crazy am I to be going into work? (I sit at a desk.)

Any other tips and tricks are appreciated. Post-op routines, whatev.

Thank you guys in advance! You've already helped me a lot for which I'm eternally grateful. Spex you're awesome.

Hey NoTakebacks, congrats on making the decision! I'm two weeks post-op from my procedure and like you, work a desk job. Here's some thoughts, just mine, others may have different suggestions.

1. Based on my doctor's instructions I washed my hair and scalp with Dial antibacterial soap the night before and morning of the procedure.

2. Any hat can work if it doesn't touch the grafts. I was given instructions on how to properly put on a hat to minimize any potential of it coming into contact with the grafts. Personally, I wore a fishing cap, plain white cotton that sat loosely on my head for the first few days after the procedure. I later switched to a loose fitting ball cap, the fishing hat looked pretty stupid but I mostly just wore it for quick errands!

3. While my discomfort was minimal I took a full week off to complete my procedure. You might want to consider taking a few days off after. I have to admit, though, my discomfort was minimal and I probably could have gone to work if absolutely necessary. I drove home about 300 miles the day after my procedure!

Good luck!

Everyone is different and your body may react completely opposite of what others tell you. To be on the safe side, you should schedule at least five days off in order to let your body rest and heal. I didn't leave the house for the first three days or so since my face was swelling and there was discomfort all over my scalp and donor area. Going further, the pain meds made me sick so I stopped taking them the day after the procedure. I definitely would not advise going to work for a couple of days if you don't feel well, let alone drive yourself there. Better safe than sorry, right? :)

Pre/Post Op:

1. Rest up day before surgery

2. If Dr. doesn't wash your hair before surgery, you can do it at home before arriving. Any shampoo should do.

3. If they don't give you a dressing afterwards, you can wear a baseball cap that doesn't rub on your scalp.

4. You should rest the day after....if you have enough hair you might be able to cover where transplants were placed. If not, get permission to wear the baseball cap for a few days.

5. You'll be washing your hair via cup for a few days after...Dr's office will teach you.

6. Should sleep with 2-3 pillows behind your back afterwards for about 3-4 days after surgery...helps to avoid puffiness around the eyes and forehead.

*Speak to your medical team....each office may vary.

I used my normal shampoo, don't think I bothered with conditioner but not sure

The GANGSTA style baseball caps work well. Not the older styled ones like golfers use that are smaller, but the ones that are wider and sort of sit on your head.

The very next day I strolled around Manhattan for 5 hours, I'm sure you'll feel physically fine to sit at your desk but mentally you may not be ready. I felt so claustrophobic wearing the hat all day, it was pretty horrible to be honest. I don't miss those 2 months, but I like the new hair I have now. Luckily you've done your research so you should be mentally prepared for the short term 'ugly duckling phase' that precedes hopefully a very satisfying result.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Thanks for all the replies guys! So far so good. Today is Post-Op Day 1. First night wasn't too bad, just popped a Vic and got around 6 hours of sleep. Luckily I haven't been experiencing any real swelling at all. Right around the recipient area is slightly puffy, rest of my face and forehead look normal.

Work was pretty smooth sailing. I actually felt pretty good, and lasted a few hours before I popped a Vicodin. One pill lasted the entire day. Had a baseball cap, not gangsta, but not tight fitting either. Luckily I've been growing out my hair, so it's a perfect excuse to wear a hat. Too lazy, gotta get thru that awkward stage between short and long etc. No questions were asked. You can't even see the staples sans hat, let alone with the hat on.

Yeah I've been using the cup method as described with a little bit of soap. Overall I'm really pleased so far. I'll post a selfshot sometime soon.

Wow, that was quick! Who did your procedure and how many grafts, FUHT or FUE?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Wow, that was quick! Who did your procedure and how many grafts, FUHT or FUE?

Hahaha! Yeah I started the thread a few days prior to my procedure, but I had booked it back in October. I saw Dr. Feller for a 1000+330 Bonus FUT to reestablish my frontal area and hairline.

Tshirts are fine at this point as long as the opening is not too tight so that when you pull it off, the neck rubs against the grafts and/or sutures. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY