How long should I wait in order to consider another HT session?

i would wait at least a year to 15 months for two reasons..one, so that every graft has a chance to pop and thicken up, so you know what your situation is before deciding on a second surgery...and 2nd, the surgeon doesnt want to operate in an area that could still be generating new grafts...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Take it from a multiple HT vet. Wait at least 12 months-- no sooner. Between my 1st and 2nd HT I only waited 4 months in which I damaged and wasted some grafts from the first HT (bad mistake).

Dont use Pat and I as examples he had his first around 6 yrs ago I think? not for sure. I had my first almost 15yrs ago. Time/techniqe and knowledge has changed. We both probably, damaged FU that hadnt come in with a quick 2nd HT. I my case I had about 200 "larger grafts"for my 2nd. LAter HT, I waited 12 months between 1,000 FU grafts. THis time around it has been 6yrs and this fall I plan on about 1000-1500 touch-up.

I would wait at least 12months to see what has grown in and where to place grafts from another HT.

I have to disagree slightly. It all depends on whether you can expect reasonable results from the 1st HT. In my case I knew it would be crap just a few hours after the surgery at the Nobel Clinic (bad placement of grafts with no lateral slit, no use of microscope or magnifying goggles, nurses performing the HT from start to finish, etc) so I made the decision to go for another "repair" one fairly quickly & had it 8 months later. I really didn't care about a potential damage to the 200 grafts I got the 1st time as I was plucking them out anyway.

Hugh Jorgan also had his 2nd HT 8 months after the 1st.

Whoops (who's got some of the best results I've ever seen) had his 3rd HT in November 2002, his 4th 5 months later & his 5th 11 months after the 4th.

Jotronic (also outstanding results) had his 1st in March 2002, his 2nd 10 months later & his 3rd 10 months after the 2nd.

So I would say you first have to consider your personal situation & HT history.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

the answer to this question depends specifically on where the 2nd round will be placed. If it is in between newly planted hairs, to add density, I would listen to Rugger's advice that 15 months should be given. If the 2nd procudure is focusing on a new scalp region that hasn't been touched I have heard from 5-8 months after is adequate. By this time your donor area should have retained laxity and could be subjected to another procedure. This is why one pass, high density techniques are very important in the attempt to efficiently reach your goal.

----------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Gandalf,

If you read about some of the really bad hair transplant tragedies involving major shock loss and poor new graft growth, you see a pattern where there were two or more hair transplants performed nine or less months apart. Strip surgery is invasive and takes a good 12 months or more to FULLY heal (like most surgeries). Some people are naturally more resistant to shock loss from close time proximity hair transplants than other people. Why take the chance you are one of the people who is more susceptible to rapid repeat surgery shock loss? My advice is to convince yourself to be patient and wait at least 12 - 15 months between surgeries. Give yourself the best odds possible to avoid this catastrophic type of shock loss...

GratefulHead