When does the hair stop falling out

Western....are you taking proscar or Rogaine now?...how has your hair loss been the last ten years?....if its stopped pretty much, then i would think youre safe...it might thin a little as you age, but i would think your hairline would stay the same...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

I would say that it has stopped falling out for the last few years.No I am not taking rogaine, as a matter of fact I went to the Dr at the VA today and asked him if he would perscribe propecia/procar and he said no. I asked him why and he said "Those drugs have hormones in them and they have been known to cause Prostate Cancer. Any suggestions what I need to do or if my hair has stopped falling out would I really need to take it? Where can I get the minoxidll and what is it running? I can get the MSM at Walmart or GNC but for prpecia what do I do. I could walk across the border and buy it without a perscription but I would question it. The drug cartell own most of the pharmacies down here now. No telling what I'd get.

In most cases a man going through male pattern baldness will have had the majority of his hair loss somewhere between 55-60 years of age. However, in medicine like all other aspects of life there is no always and no nevers. I have seen cases where a person continued to loss hair well into their 60,s and also had patients who lost all their hair by age 40 with no further loss over the next 20 years. You may still have a benefit by taking Propecia. Don't forget to consult with your doctor prior to taking any new medications.

In most cases a man going through male pattern baldness will have had the majority of his hair loss somewhere between 55-60 years of age. However, in medicine like all other aspects of life there is no always and no nevers. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I have seen cases where a person continued to loss hair well into their 60,s and also had patients who lost all their hair by age 40 with no further loss over the next 20 years.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You may still have a benefit by taking Propecia. Don't forget to consult with your doctor prior to taking any new medications. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

What does this mean ? You are saying they lost all there hair at 40 with no further loss. How could they have further loss if they already went bald ?

as a matter of fact I went to the Dr at the VA today and asked him if he would perscribe propecia/procar and he said no. I asked him why and he said "Those drugs have hormones in them and they have been known to cause Prostate Cancer. Any suggestions what I need to do or if my hair has stopped falling out would I really need to take it? .

Another "genius" working for the VA..your doctor doesnt have a clue..these drugs actually help PREVENT prostate cancer, not cause it!..jesus...

there are online pharmacies in the US and Canada that will supply you Proscar very easily...check them out...Rogaine you can get at a drugstore, the generic 5% solution is cheaper than the original...ive seen it as low as 25 bucks for a three month supply...

doing both of these could actually help your existing hair, and possibly regenerate some of your loss..dont expect miracles though...if youre really planning to get an HT, you should be on these now....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

• 1 year later...

Even when I first wrote this, I have noticed that at 57 now it is still getting thin there. The reason the Dr. was worried about the meds was because he was worried about my prostate. Seems to be a problem with it. Maybe he thought the meds would screw with the meds he was giving me for prostate

Western Star

. . . I'm almost the same age as you and I think I could re-echo what has already been inferred from each of the above replies. My 'hairline and pattern of loss' had stabilised and become established from around the age of 50-52 - without getting appreciably worse over the last 3 years or so - and indeed the actual daily hair loss count (bathtub, shower, comb etc.) is very minimal (which you would expect - having less than half the hair coverage that I had 25 years ago!)- However . . . Looking at my aged parents, who are now in their mid 80's I would have to say that in my case (and this seems to hold good from what I've observed of many senior citizens) - I can expect hair growth to continue to slow, with perhaps (or even probably) a gradual atrophy of the follicles through each growth cycle, such that the hair will progressively thin rather than recede any further.

I think it's a truism of this dilemma that we are all in, that the quest for social acceptance through a good head of hair is primarily a young man's anguish - and that 'getting' old' will, for everyone on this network be the 'sting in the tail' - as ones slowly thinning tresses become less adequate to the task of even hiding the scars.

. . . but may good fortune be with you . . . Sorleyboy