Itchy Scalp

You may end up stopping the Rogaine, but prior to that, in my personal opinion, there is nothing better than neutrogena t gel shampoo for the itchies.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree with Dr. Lindsey that T-Gel often helps with the itchy scalp problem. When this does not do the job I ofter recommend Nizoral 1% or 2% shampoo. One of these two shampoos should give you some relief.Are you using the 5% foam or the 5% solution?

Nick,

As Dr. Charles already asked, are you using minoxidil liquid or Rogaine (minoxidil) foam? Itchy scalp is quite common with the liquid due to the ingredient propylene glycol. You may want to try switching to Rogaine foam which still contains 5% minoxidil but may eliminate the itch. If that works, it will be a lot better than stopping the use of effective hair loss medication.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

All, sorry for the delay in replying (busy life).

Am using liquid Rogaine Extra-Strenght. Am happy to report that I have been using Nizoral 2% twice a week, and Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment (same active ingredient as Neutrogena T-Gel, but cheaper), and have lost any itchiness to my scalp. It slowly went away, starting with the crown, and working its way to the front.

Thanks everyone for your help, feel free to PM with any questions...

Nick