Desperate. Considering a transplant.

Rocknroll

I'm 33 and have a large thinning area on my crown. My temples are quite receded too. I recently stopped taking Propecia due to concerns about side effects - my wife said I should try "holistic methods" but I don't have much faith in what I've discovered. I'm taking Saw Palmetto and using Regaine foam for now but my confidence in the future has more or less vanished since stopping Propecia.

I'm wondering if a transplant is the only option to restore my hair and with it my happy-go-lucky nature. I'm like a different person, just worrying all the time and waking up sad every morning. If anyone has recommendations of surgery options in London that are payable in instalments, I'd be grateful for some guidance in my research.

Thanks for listening.

image.jpg.393e352f80e17f57b4013b1c6a22a92a.jpg

Hey Rocknroll,

Mostly everyone here has shared the same concerns as you at one point or another. For me, it was the confidence. I just wasn't the same person anymore and was constantly worrying about how others perceive me. Although I'm 25, I had a similar hair loss pattern to yours, but mine had progressed much further. I had about 90% thinning in my crown, which had already started creeping down to my hairline. As far as Propecia goes, I will stop taking it and switch to Rogaine in couple months. It's been only two months since my transplant and the side effects are taking a toll on me as well. On the brighter side of things, you definitely look like you would be an eligible candidate for a hair transplant. Your donor area looks good in the photo from that angle, but some more pictures would help. The only word of advice I can give you is try not to stress out too much, there is a solution to hair loss. You will eventually find the right doctor that which will educate you about all your options. Good luck with everything and don't forget to keep us updated.

Rocknrolla,

The only 2 proven medications are propecia and rogaine, what side effects have propecia given you? Are you sure you are not just being paranoid?

You could try and lower the dose and see how that works and stick with rogaine, results can be great in the crown/thinning areas using these medications.

A HT should be the very last option you choose, and in my opinion should only be considered if medication works for you. Although people do have HTs without drugs for hairloss which can be a dangerous game.....no one, not even the Drs can tell you were your hairloss will progress to, so tread carefully:)

You ask about Drs in London, the only one suggested on here is Dr Farjo and would be a great port of call to start with, however a few hours away in Belgium there are some of the best Drs in the world and you could not go wrong with choosing any of these and are cheaper than the UK:)

Research the Docs on here and try and talk to a few reps like spex (Dr fellers rep) and Stephen (Dr Bisanga rep) and so on, these guys are good honest people who will guide you in the right direction. Being desperate can lead to many mistakes so be careful and get yourself in the right frame of mind before considering any sort of procedure.

Wish you well and Good luck!

I'm 33 and have a large thinning area on my crown. My temples are quite receded too. I recently stopped taking Propecia due to concerns about side effects - my wife said I should try "holistic methods" but I don't have much faith in what I've discovered. I'm taking Saw Palmetto and using Regaine foam for now but my confidence in the future has more or less vanished since stopping Propecia.

I'm wondering if a transplant is the only option to restore my hair and with it my happy-go-lucky nature. I'm like a different person, just worrying all the time and waking up sad every morning. If anyone has recommendations of surgery options in London that are payable in instalments, I'd be grateful for some guidance in my research.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Rocknroll;

Great handle mate. Clearly based on your photo and comment your in the early stages of MPB, but it is apparent. Holistic methods have only anecdotal evidence in support of them. I am not saying they cant work ... but the clinical body of evidence needed to enthusiastically recommend them is just not their. I always choose holistic methods first in my lifestyle; the support is not yet there in terms of the great potion or supplement that definitively halts hair loss and fosters hair growth.

Remember, the first issue is to stop the adverse effects of DHT on affected hair. Then promote healthy growth of hair from the affected follicles. No natural remedy has been proven to effectively do that. Transplanting hair from the permanent zone to balding areas is a natural, proven and permanent solution for many people suffering from pattern baldness.

The recommended surgeons on HTN are among the leaders worldwide in HT procedures. All the Best, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Thanks for listening.

You should try waking up each morning without a wife/partner and hairloss. That's even sadder!!

But enough about me...

I don't think you've lost enough hair yet to consider having a HT, especially without finasteride to back it up.

My view would be to put it to one side and get on with your life for now. HTs can be done without the meds, but in my book only the ones with a lot of lost hair and great donor should only really consider it.

There are some good concealers like Nanogen (available in larger Boots stores) which can cover up your loss in the crown. A shorter haircut may also help.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day