In search of valuable advice regarding HT

Hi All,

I am browsing this site from a while and as per the recommendations by the expert members here, I have finally decided to undergo a hair transplantation procedure by Dr. Radha Rani during March end, 2013.

Below is the link for my blog:

Hair Restoration Site for crux

I have updated my pre op pics and I'll upload them regularly so that it can be helpful to other new members also. I would like to listen valuable advice from expert community members and to guide me for my first HT.

I want to know whether I have made correct decision to go for HT and Have I chosen correct doctor ?

How many grafts would be sufficient to improve my overall looks? Dr. Radha is expecting 3000-3500 grafts to cover the bald area. I am not expecting any miracles but I am hoping for some decent looks.

Should I go for maximum number of grafts that can be transplanted or should I restrict them to a limit as my hair fall is still progressing and in future I might go for another HT procedure. What would be the best advice in a long run. I don't want a bad HT or bad scar that might damage my current looks.

Also, I would like to know the current condition of my donor and recipient area and their future prospects.

I request to all the expert community members to advise me in order to achieve the best outcomes.

Regards

Hey Crux,

Let me see if I can address some of your questions:

1. Yes, Dr. Radha is excellent, and I think you made a good decision booking a procedure with her.

2. It depends on what you want to do with the 3,500 grafts. It looks like you're heading toward a fairly advanced NW pattern (likely a V or maybe even a VI), so a full restoration (of that pattern) with 3,500 grafts would give a comprehensive, but thin appearance. However, if you're looking to restore the midscalp, frontal scalp, hairline, and leave the vertex, 3,500 would likely provide a nice result.

3. Removing and implanting a maximum number of grafts versus a more conservative approach involving multiple procedures is something you need to discuss with your physician. You two should discuss your goals and resources and come up with a hair restoration plan.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi All,

I want to know whether I have made correct decision to go for HT and Have I chosen correct doctor ?

How many grafts would be sufficient to improve my overall looks? Dr. Radha is expecting 3000-3500 grafts to cover the bald area. I am not expecting any miracles but I am hoping for some decent looks.

Should I go for maximum number of grafts that can be transplanted or should I restrict them to a limit as my hair fall is still progressing and in future I might go for another HT procedure. What would be the best advice in a long run. I don't want a bad HT or bad scar that might damage my current looks.

Also, I would like to know the current condition of my donor and recipient area and their future prospects.

Regards

I had a look at your photos.

Your sides look a bit thin which makes me think you may not have many grafts in the bank, and you also have an agressive hairloss pattern.

Have you tried finasteride and minoxidil to reverse/stop your loss?

I don't think with 3000 grafts you should move the hairline much. Just concentrate on beefing up the middle section.

I don't know much about the Dr but in all my time on here I've not heard anything negative.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

As a fellow NW5a, and resident "know it all" here is my thought, and I wish this was suggested to me my fist HT

1. First HT, go for maximum grafts

1, Be careful on how you construct your hair line. You will have future loss, and you want to try avoid the thin see through hair.

*** If I could do it over again, I would have skip the straight across hairline that Rahal performed, and followed a widows peek, ie. Jude Law, or what you naturally have right now. That way I could have dense packing in a small area up front, and let it get thin on the way back, and then attack the crown.

Take a look at my pics, and just don't do that. The head is a big area to cover, and anything you can do to have a more focused area will give you better results.

I had a look at your photos.

Your sides look a bit thin which makes me think you may not have many grafts in the bank, and you also have an agressive hairloss pattern.

Have you tried finasteride and minoxidil to reverse/stop your loss?

I don't think with 3000 grafts you should move the hairline much. Just concentrate on beefing up the middle section.

I don't know much about the Dr but in all my time on here I've not heard anything negative.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Yes, I do have an agressive hairloss pattern but since last three months I am applying an medicine(liquid) on my scalp given by a relative of mine.

I am very happy with its results. After using that my hairfall has reduced a lot and I feel that my existing hairs are growing well. However that smells very bad..:(

I have tried finasteride and minoxidil around 4-5 years back for only 6 months but I did not get any positive results from them . That is why I stopped using them.

Shall I start taking both medicines now?

Right now I am not expecting to get a really low hairline with my HT. I am just desiring to get decent looks. I believe that if I can get my hairline half inch down from the front and 3/4 inch from the sides, I'll look good as naturally I have a very large forehead.

What do you think, can I achieve above results with 3000-3500 grafts? Am I expecting too much? I'll try to get as much grafts as possible for my first HT though.

Regards

As a fellow NW5a, and resident "know it all" here is my thought, and I wish this was suggested to me my fist HT

1. First HT, go for maximum grafts

1, Be careful on how you construct your hair line. You will have future loss, and you want to try avoid the thin see through hair.

*** If I could do it over again, I would have skip the straight across hairline that Rahal performed, and followed a widows peek, ie. Jude Law, or what you naturally have right now. That way I could have dense packing in a small area up front, and let it get thin on the way back, and then attack the crown.

Take a look at my pics, and just don't do that. The head is a big area to cover, and anything you can do to have a more focused area will give you better results.

Hi Nativeremdies,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll surely go for maximum number of grafts that I can get for my first HT.

And I'll surely avoid the straight across hairline so that I can get good density in small front area.

Regards