HT & the Telogen Phase?

Here's a question for docs and those in-the-know:

When one's hair has entered the Telogen phase (usually lasting around 3 months) due to the natural hair growth cycle or due to extreme stress, how does the HT surgeon implant in such a way as to not interfere with the growth of the Telogen follicle once it re-enters the Anagen phase? Is there a way to do that?

Obviously this is related to transplanting into and around existing native hair; if one is completely bald in the recipient area (for considerably longer than 3 months), then it's a non-issue.

Thanks.

Zen,

Are you asking how surgeons prevent native follicles from entering the telogen phase while implanting follicular unit grafts into thinning scalp?

If so, sometimes it can't be avoided, and this stress-induced transition from normal anagen cycling to the telogen phase is (in my opinion) "shock loss." The follicles will remain in the resting phase for approximately 3-4 months, and then return to a normal anagen cycle for 2-7 years (with an average of 3-4 years).

However, the way to avoid this phenomenon is (again, in my view) simply reducing stress to the recipient scalp. Though it's sometimes not avoidable, scalp stress can be reduced with appropriately sized incisions and careful surgical technique during the procedure.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for your reply, Blake. Actually, I was asking about when the follicles are already in the Telogen phase due to the natural hair growth cycle or extreme stress, not shock-loss caused by the trauma of surgery.

From Wikipedia:

"The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase.It signals the end of the active growth of a hair...A club hair is formed during the catagen phase when the part of the hair follicle in contact with the lower portion of the hair becomes attached to the hair shaft. This process cuts the hair off from its blood supply and from the cells that produce new hair. When a club hair is completely formed, about a 2 week process, the hair follicle enters the telogen phase...the club hair is the final product of a hair follicle in the telogen stage, and is a dead, fully keratinized hair."

So, if the club hair is still in the scalp during surgery, then I presume a surgeon can carefully implant around the club hairs. However, if/when the club hair is shed and there is no hair there to indicate the location of the dormant follicle, then what does the surgeon do to avoid implanting directly into a healthy dormant follicle that will grow again? Is the hole through which the hair grows still visible to the surgeon so that s/he may avoid it?

The hair will in many cases still be in the skin. So they can still be seen. The ones that are shed will be invisible and in those cases they will be treated as gently as the roof of the Chevvy in Mad Max when the nut job jumps on it and puts a spike through it between the terrified couple below.

• 4 years later...