What to do?

I'm 18 years old, and am starting to bald at the crown. For a while this really freaked me out, but i'm kind of starting to accept it. I don't care about going bald, I just wish that it would have waited until I was 30, or at least late 20's... but 18? :(

I'm supposed to be starting college in a few months... This whole situation is making me really not want to go. I know there are a lot of others my age here on this site and throughout the internet with much worse hair, but I have yet to meet any person in real life my age with thinning hair such as myself.

What can I do about it? To be honest, I don't want to take medication... In the long run i'd rather have my health than my hair. What good will hair be if i get cancer and have to loose it all to chemo anyways...?

Anyways, i'll post some pictures, you can tell I have a decently thick head of hair everywhere but my crown, although my hair is kind of thinning and noticeable on the sides as well in bright lighting, but you can't tell here.

I think my only option is changing my style... Would a buzz cut make this look better or worse? Since my hair is blonde i don't know. I also don't think a buzz cut would look good on me...

I've had this exact same hair style for as long as i can remember, I feel really uncomfortable changing it now, especially to a short buzz cut...

*edit* I looked at the picture of my crown again, and its actually a bit worse than it looks in the picture... I didnt get the best angle and i had to take the pic with one hand otherwise my other arm would cast a shadow covering my head aha, i would say it looks 10% worse in reality than it does in that picture..

20130128_232718-1.jpg.8c3539e8f4f64162141647f965716e62.jpg

20130128_232713-1.jpg.e40fcc5d286c88420c6ce5b983001209.jpg

20130128_232631.jpg.63d9b43445ade0049fb51318dc769c9f.jpg

I'm 18 years old, and am starting to bald at the crown. For a while this really freaked me out, but i'm kind of starting to accept it. I don't care about going bald, I just wish that it would have waited until I was 30, or at least late 20's... but 18? :(

I'm supposed to be starting college in a few months... This whole situation is making me really not want to go. I know there are a lot of others my age here on this site and throughout the internet with much worse hair, but I have yet to meet any person in real life my age with thinning hair such as myself.

What can I do about it? To be honest, I don't want to take medication... In the long run i'd rather have my health than my hair. What good will hair be if i get cancer and have to loose it all to chemo anyways...?

Anyways, i'll post some pictures, you can tell I have a decently thick head of hair everywhere but my crown, although my hair is kind of thinning and noticeable on the sides as well in bright lighting, but you can't tell here.

I think my only option is changing my style... Would a buzz cut make this look better or worse? Since my hair is blonde i don't know. I also don't think a buzz cut would look good on me...

I've had this exact same hair style for as long as i can remember, I feel really uncomfortable changing it now, especially to a short buzz cut...

*edit* I looked at the picture of my crown again, and its actually a bit worse than it looks in the picture... I didnt get the best angle and i had to take the pic with one hand otherwise my other arm would cast a shadow covering my head aha, i would say it looks 10% worse in reality than it does in that picture..

Probably just the combination of natural whorl and slight thinning that make it look a bit scalpy in your crown.

Most people thin out a bit when they go from late teens to early 20s...unless their name is Zach Effron..

You should go and have a consultation with a recommended surgeon. However, they will all say three things: Minoxidil, Finasteride, and get on with your life and stop worrying!

Oh and trust me, you will care about balding when you are 30, when you are 40, when you are 50...maybe even 60!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Would getting a really short buzz cut make this more or less visible? I've been kind of wanting to shave it all off lately anyways, not fully sure yet though...

Does wearing a lot of hats/beanies actually make you more bald? Because if i buzzed it odds are i'd be wearing a lot more hats, whereas now I never wear hats, ever.

Does wearing a lot of hats/beanies actually make you more bald? Because if i buzzed it odds are i'd be wearing a lot more hats, whereas now I never wear hats, ever.

No, wearing hats or other headgear does not normally result in hair loss. The exception would be wearing excessively tight hats or helmets that repeatedly rub the scalp to the point of scarring. This can sometimes happen to men and women who wear hats or helmets for work or those who wear turbans and is known as traction alopecia.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website