FAO Dr Humayun Mohmand

Hi Dr Mohmand, I am interested in finding out your views on the hair characteristics of indian/pakistani people and whether in your opinion this better provides coverage than normal hair.

I ask this because I am an indian, from the UK, and like most indians I have thick black hair.

Also, I've noticed with your work on guys with more extensive baldness, it usually involves an initial procedure of around 3000 grafts spread over the entire head. This produces a result that is low in density and further procedures are needed to increase density. Can I ask why you prefer this approach as opposed to restoring the front, then the back etc? Or does it depend on the patients desires?

Thanks for your time.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

I was about to post this question.From the surgical albums that i have seen from Dr.Humayun and Dr.Madhu from india i too have seen that a large area of the scalp getting covered with less number of grafts.I guess the hair characteristics and hair to scalp color ratio for most of the indian/pakistani people are just ideal for an HT and the head size too isnt that big.I think the patient would be given 2 option.To get their entire scalp covered with average density in 1 procedure or to to have good density in 2 procedures covering the front in the 1st and the crown in the 2nd.The first option would be very tempting for most of the patients who are high in the norwood level.To have the entire scalp covered in one procedure for a gradeV1,many would prefer that.

Dear Friends

South east Asian have a special characteristics of hairs, they are thick and if you are not careful it can give much harsh look of hair transplant that could be detected from miles and Salman khan is an example of that surgrey. He has a good density but very unnatural looks so it has to be balanced.

Now the other fact is the scalp mobility and the density of hairs/sq cm is less in asian then in caucasians. so we get lesser number of grafts.

In my experience if I can get 6000 total number of grafts then i can give a great result.

It can be both ways, I can fill up the front and then fill the back, or I can do what i do is spread it on a larger area compromising on the density initially, so in the end whether you do one way or the other he will need two surgeries so the math will be same.

So why I choose to do so is because, if the patient for what ever reason does not get the second surgery done, he will look more odd with dense front 5 cm, and total bald in the back as compare to the one who has lesser density throughout. he looks more like a thinning pattern and can be take as normal thinness if he does not wish to go for second surgery for what ever reason.

This approach was done once i saw one of my patient who was looking very odd after surgery as he was very dense in first 5 cm and nothing there after. so I asked him why dont you get the second procedure and he said he had a lot of loss in his business and he cant afford further.

so just for the sake of my name and reputation and to some extent because of his story I offered him free second surgery. He is now one of my strongest advocate in Pakistan.

But I learned the lesson, that i would do a surgery in such a way that if some one decides not to go for second surgery he should still look natural.

Hope that would clear my point of view, though other do not have to agree with me.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Salman khan i think had done hair weaving,where fibres are used.It had come in the media as well that salman khan's hair line had started receding again and his overall density too had again reduced.Damn news channels and TRPs!!Now when i see his recent interviews he is again with a head full of thick hair.Its been said that he keeps going to Dubai after every few months to get a touch up as the fibres not accepted by the body for long

Originally posted by HaiRisWhere:

Salman khan i think had done hair weaving,where fibres are used.It had come in the media as well that salman khan's hair line had started receding again and his overall density too had again reduced.Damn news channels and TRPs!!Now when i see his recent interviews he is again with a head full of thick hair.Its been said that he keeps going to Dubai after every few months to get a touch up as the fibres not accepted by the body for long

Hairiswhere, a quick search on this forum shows that Salman Khan apparently had his HT at Armani. No wonder his hairline apparently looks odd and he has to go back for touch-up procedures to Dubai, every year.

Here's the posting that I found on this forum:

http://hair-restoration-info.c...6060861/m/9751008773