Is blow drying your hair bad?

Using a blow dryer at a reasonable heat and a low speed will not cause any damage to the existing hair. As far as the transplanted hair is concerned: because the grafts are anchored by day 7, it is unlikely that blow drying will actually cause any loss of the implanted follicles. However, although it's not an "apples to apples" comparison, most hair restoration physicians recommend covering your head while in the sun for the first 3-6 months after the procedure, so I suppose direct heat to the scalp via a blow dryer could cause a similar phenomenon.

However, as previously stated, I still believe a medium heat setting and low speed will not cause this excessive scalp irritation, and should be fine for transplanted hair as well. Having said that, if you did want to be very careful, I suppose you could follow the same sun protection guidelines and avoid blow drying for the first 3-6 months post-op.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 months later...

How would one tell if there was damaged caused to transplanted hair from blow drying/heat in the first few weeks post op?

I used a blow dryer like Dr Path said I could. However because it did not have a cool setting I just held it from a pretty far distance. Should that have been OK?

How would one tell if there was damaged caused to transplanted hair from blow drying/heat in the first few weeks post op?

I used a blow dryer like Dr Path said I could. However because it did not have a cool setting I just held it from a pretty far distance. Should that have been OK?

Sounds like you followed his instructions closely, and should be just fine. How many days post-op did you use the blow dryer?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Sounds like you followed his instructions closely, and should be just fine. How many days post-op did you use the blow dryer?

Dr Path said it was ok to use it 24 hours post op. I start using it around 48 hours post op. However he said no hot air. I am just worried that my method of holding a hot blow dryer a foot or two away from my head was not enough to cool it off. I am just wondering if I would know if I had damaged my scalp.