Colorado Surgical & Hair Institute

ukmattyc

Ok, I don't want to start a rant or a massive argument, I just wan't to tell you my experience about CSHI. Yes they only charge $2 a graft but just because they charge so little doesn't mean they are cowboys!

I arrived at 8 am on the 29th Dec and was greeted by a team of the friendliest people I have ever met! I was in filling out paper work and getting my hair count looked a with in 5 mins. I was a very nervous chappy, but Chris Mctyre (director) made me settle down and all of the team did everything I asked and kept asking me what I needed. Dr Gerald Searle did my surgery and he too was one of the very friendliest professional Dr's I HAVE EVER MET. He explained everything and preformed the trichophytic closure on my donor site so when the scar heals the hair actually grows through the scar, so you shouldn't see it in a year or 2.

I didn't feel a thing, even the injection of the anesthesia was minimal as the Dr kept massaging my head to make me comfortable.

I paid for 2000 grafts and actually received 2126 grafts. There motto is if there are any grafts left, they go in. After the hair transplant was complete I was informed of everything I needed to do to keep my new "babies" happy and safe. I was given an after care pack and was told to call anytime of the day and night if I needed anything.

I am on the 5th day after surgery now and I have hardly any pain at the donor site and my graft sites do not itch and even some of the grafts look like they are growing.

You can't judge a book by its cover. I did ask why they charge $2 a graft and they were honest and explained they do not advertise, they only have ever used word by mouth. Judging by the patient photo's and even football players photos i saw, I am very impressed.

I have posted photo's on here and i have a you tube account if you wan,t to follow my journey.... hairtransplantmatt

What ever your journey i hope you have a fantastic journey.

Wow...$2 per graft is "crazy"...but if you get a quality result that's wonderful.

Keep us informed as you progress the next few months.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Congratulations, Matt! Look forward to more updates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Have you had a hair transplant?

Did you not read his post?

I just wan't to tell you my experience about CSHI. I arrived at 8 am on the 29th Dec. Dr Gerald Searle did my surgery. received 2126 grafts.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it was really well done in these early stages so please keep the vlog going! I subbed to keep an eye on it. I'm from Salt Lake and been looking around so Denver is an easy trip! Obviously the $2 grafts are a bit scary, but if the results turn out good why not?!? I also saw you recommend that "it's a 10" mousse" to thicken up the existing hair so I'm going to give that a try.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an HT performed there 6 1/2 months ago. They were very professional and used the strip method with 1500 grafts to my crown area. I've seen some improvement, but I have doubts that 1500 grafts was sufficient to provide anywhere close to full coverage. I will post a photo journal today...

Here's my series of photos after getting 1500 grafts just to my crown area 6 1/2 months ago at Colorado Surgical & Hair Institute. I'm doubtful this will lead to adequate coverage at 12-14 months.

I'm definitely interested in any thoughts or comments on the # of grafts & 6 month progression..

Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss and Transplant Photos

The Physician was Dr. Searle & I did the laser treatments for a few months. I travel extensively and found it very difficult to find available time slots for laser treatments. I'm also highly skeptical regarding the efficacy of laser treatments as there is no true clinical data to support it's effectiveness.

• 4 months later...

I'd be happy to answer any questions. I can tell you up front that I have not been pleased with my results though. It's been 14 months since my transplant and I've seen no progress since the last photos I posted roughly 6 months ago. The 1500 grafts were way under what was needed for optimal results. My guess is, I would need another 3000 to get the desired results and even though I have the money, I'm not sure I want to go through another procedure. My donor incision was sutured poorly and took forever to heal with major scaring, I had significant shock loss and I'm not fully confident I would get the desired result the 2nd time around. For those reasons I would give CHS a D- at best.

• 3 weeks later...

Best wishes on your journey & results. I wish I had at least twice the number of grafts done. I started with 1500 ( crown only), based on their recommendation...Now I'm considering another 3000 (crown only) based on sub-optimal results at 14 months post-op.

I experienced severe shock-loss after transplant and I wish I had been on a long-term regiment of finistride prior to transplant which might have inhibited shock-loss, leading to an oval improved outcome? I've been using Rogaine for years & have been on Finistride since one week b4 procedure.

I'd be interested to know more specifics... like severity & location of hair loss, as well as your progress over the next year.

I have put up a full profile on bald truth talk but your administrator wont allow me to point you to it. It has pictures and everything. Its an ongoing diary.

If you go to that forum -and I am not trying to promote any hairloss forum over another- then you can see it.

I would go with propecia, finasteride and concealers such as koboki and dermatch for the crown. Can I ask how tall you are? Most folks dont bother looking at your crown, especially if you are 5ft 10 or taller.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Stay away from this clinic. I went there and as you can see from my avatar photo they left me with a huge "zipper" scar in the back of my head from the strip removal. It was supposed to be a trichophytic closure but the scar is nearly a cm or more wide. They only removed 1600 grafts so it wasnt even that large of a procedure. I have since consulted with 3 other IAHRS all of which have concluded that my scar is the results of an extremely unexperienced surgeon who did not perform the incisions correctly and put the sutures in so tightly that hair was killed off by restriction of blood flow. In addition many of the grafts did not survive and they used a tech who placed the incisions in the recipient area as well as the grafts in the recipient area. Nearly all the grafts were placed too deeply leaving pitting scars in the front of my head and a large ridge of scar tissue. The physicians they use are not surgeons at all. Gerald searle who performed my strip removal was indicted for running a large marijuana scheme, and James Boland was writing medical mariijuana prescriptions until he was nearly shut down as well. Their website mentions 20 years of experience but it is just not true. actually it is a flat out lie.

STAY AWAY FROM COLORADO SURGICAL CENTER AND HAIR INSTITUTE. THEY ARE DECEPTIVE AND WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND BUTCHER YOUR HEAD.

what's odd is on their website there is a tab called "Our Surgeon" and when you click the tab it says "Meet The Surgeons" but then no surgeon's pictures, bios, or names are shown.

• 2 weeks later...
Stay away from this clinic. I went there and as you can see from my avatar photo they left me with a huge "zipper" scar in the back of my head from the strip removal. It was supposed to be a trichophytic closure but the scar is nearly a cm or more wide. They only removed 1600 grafts so it wasnt even that large of a procedure. I have since consulted with 3 other IAHRS all of which have concluded that my scar is the results of an extremely inexperienced surgeon who did not perform the incisions correctly and put the sutures in so tightly that hair was killed off by restriction of blood flow. In addition many of the grafts did not survive and they used a tech who placed the incisions in the recipient area as well as the grafts in the recipient area. Nearly all the grafts were placed too deeply leaving pitting scars in the front of my head and a large ridge of scar tissue. The physicians they use are not surgeons at all. Gerald searle who performed my strip removal was indicted for running a large marijuana scheme, and James Boland was writing medical mariijuana prescriptions until he was nearly shut down as well. Their website mentions 20 years of experience but it is just not true. actually it is a flat out lie.

STAY AWAY FROM COLORADO SURGICAL CENTER AND HAIR INSTITUTE. THEY ARE DECEPTIVE AND WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND BUTCHER YOUR HEAD.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I went to CSC&HI last year and had an FUT of 1500. I'm also in healthcare and know a little about clinics. I'll tell you about my results later....... Regarding Chris McTyre and CSC&HI he actually does know what he is doing and is as competent as you will find in this line of work. He is a US Navy trained scrub tech with many years of scrub experience for a variety of cases in both the service and civilian acute care facilities. McTyre is also an astute businessman that could probably do hair transplants in his sleep. Is it unusual that a seasoned scrub tech knows as much as a physician about a particular case or procedure? Absolutely not. It is actual very common and is this way in many healthcare disciplines. This is just one of many ways doctors learn procedures, as nurses and doctors share a similar relationship. But this is where the bulk of CSC&HI surgical experience comes from. As another healthcare professional, I am confident Chris McTyre knows it all when it comes to OR and surgery for many cases. I'm not saying you could train a monkey to do this procedure, but am saying this isn't open heart either...

Regarding my procedure, under McTyre's consult, Dr. Searle extracted my donor strip and to be honest, I felt Searle was less experienced than I expected. But again, I'll address the end results later. Nothing can be more important than experience when it comes to surgery. And knowing the risks and potential outcomes is paramount because the unexpected should be expected. I have read many different cases where the doc extracting from the donor site had unexpected problems. Were they avoidable problems? Who's to say unless you were there. If normal protocols were followed and problems occurred that is the risk you take. As long as nerves or major blood vessels weren't accidentally cut, closing the incision shouldn't be a problem. If the skin is tight, additional sutures should not be cause for alarm.

Suturing is an art form. Some are masters and some people I wouldn't let work on a dog. Searle wasn't the worst, but at that time when he sutured me I felt he could use more experience with this particular case procedure. 18 months and many procedures later, he's probably fine now. Sutures shouldn't be too tight but if they are, no fret. Your skin will eventually relax some and over time the 'lump line' at the closure site should smooth. Don't be afraid to tell Chris if you're not sure about this. And please do not let his type A hyperactive personality fool you, he is completely approachable. He also wants you to feel comfortable using his clinic as there will be follow-up appts and hopefully repeat business. I think Chris also has his own personal story and why he tries his best to make everything right with people. Rumors are that Chris had cancer treatment in the past couple years of which I believe he has cleared but now knows he has a second chance in life and trying to make the best of it. His positive outlook and energy is noticeable. He really is here today because of it and wants to help. This is his calling.

My results were less than desired but let's be clear, I have more hair today than I did before the procedure and am absolutely thrilled about it. And I was the laziest patient McTyre could have ever had. After about 18mos my hair is still coming in and stabilizing meaning the scalp has completely recovered from surgical shock and hairs are growing out naturally. But that's me. The procedure will have different result for everyone.. Some will grow more hair and some less. Some will be thicker and some thinner. Your physiology will dictate much of what you end up with.

Don't believe everything negative you read about this clinic. If I'm comfortable using this surgery center you should be too because no one is more critical concerning good healthcare delivery than I am. If I thought for one second a clinic I used was not up to the standards I expect, trust me, they would never hear the end of it and there would be hell to pay.

CSC&HI is a very clean, organized and professional surgical clinic. Chris McTyre personally trains his medical staff for services that exceed the standards for quality healthcare delivery at a price you cannot beat. Thanks to Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute you do not need to pay $8 per hair follicle anymore. -Amen to that.

Edited by DD214

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I went to CSC&HI last year and had an FUT of 1500. I'm also in healthcare and know a little about clinics. I'll tell you about my results later....... Regarding Chris McTyre and CSC&HI he actually does know what he is doing and is as competent as you will find in this line of work. He is a US Navy trained scrub tech with many years of scrub experience for a variety of cases in both the service and civilian acute care facilities. McTyre is also an astute businessman that could probably do hair transplants in his sleep. Is it unusual that a seasoned scrub tech knows as much as a physician about a particular case or procedure? Absolutely not. It is actual very common and is this way in many healthcare disciplines. This is just one of many ways doctors learn procedures, as nurses and doctors share a similar relationship. But this is where the bulk of CSC&HI surgical experience comes from. As another healthcare professional, I am confident Chris McTyre knows it all when it comes to OR and surgery for many cases. I'm not saying you could train a monkey to do this procedure, but am saying this isn't open heart either...

Regarding my procedure, under McTyre's consult, Dr. Searle extracted my donor strip and to be honest, I felt Searle was less experienced than I expected. But again, I'll address the end results later. Nothing can be more important than experience when it comes to surgery. And knowing the risks and potential outcomes is paramount because the unexpected should be expected. I have read many different cases where the doc extracting from the donor site had unexpected problems. Were they avoidable problems? Who's to say unless you were there. If normal protocols were followed and problems occurred that is the risk you take. As long as nerves or major blood vessels weren't accidentally cut, closing the incision shouldn't be a problem. If the skin is tight, additional sutures should not be cause for alarm.

Suturing is an art form. Some are masters and some people I wouldn't let work on a dog. Searle wasn't the worst, but when he sutured me I felt he could use more experience with this particular case procedure. He's probably fine now. Sutures shouldn't be too tight but if they are, no fret. Your skin will eventually relax some and over time the 'lump line' at the closure site should smooth. Don't be afraid to tell Chris if you're not sure about this. And please do not let his type A hyperactive personality fool you, he is completely approachable. He also wants you to feel comfortable using his clinic as there will be follow-up appts and hopefully repeat business. I think Chris also has his own personal story and why he tries his best to make everything right with people. Rumors are that Chris had cancer treatment in the past couple years of which I believe he has cleared but now knows he has a second chance in life and trying to make the best of it. His positive outlook and energy is noticeable. He really is here today because of it and wants to help. This is his calling.

My results were less than desired but let's be clear, I have more hair today than I did before the procedure and am absolutely thrilled about it. And I was the laziest patient McTyre could have ever had. After about 18mos my hair is still coming in and stabilizing meaning the scalp has completely recovered from surgical shock and hairs are growing out naturally. But that's me. The procedure will have different result for everyone.. Some will grow more hair and some less. Some will be thicker and some thinner. Your physiology will dictate much of what you end up with.

Don't believe everything negative you read about this clinic. If I'm comfortable using this surgery center you should be too because no one is more critical concerning good healthcare delivery than I am. If I thought for one second a clinic I used was not up to the standards I expect, trust me, they would never hear the end of it and there would be hell to pay.

CSC&HI is a very clean, organized and professional surgical clinic. Chris McTyre personally trains his medical staff for services that exceed the standards for quality healthcare delivery at a price you cannot beat. Thanks to Colorado Surgical Center & Hair Institute you do not need to pay $8 per hair follicle anymore. -Amen to that.

jiml

Since when do you pay $8 per graft with FUT, maybe FUE but I would still rather pay that then take a risk with a clinic that has subpar results. No offence but this is your first post and it feels a lot like you represent the clinic.