37 y/o worried about first HT

I'm a 37 year old guy who has been reading this forum for a while now. My hair loss is not too bad but I am ready to take some action with a HT. Rogaine doesn't do much, even though I still use it. I also use generic propecia, but I don't like the side effects. My hair loss is the typical receding hairline in the front. The top and back of the head have not lost any hair.

Now, I have read posts that one HT is rarely enough. I accept that. But I am concerned if I get a HT and, let's say after 2-3 years, my hair loss continues in the area where it is receding now, I will look like I had an obvious HT b/c I will have a nice hairline in the front but I will have hair loss behind it because of the post-HT recession. I just don't want to stand out and look odd. I realize that I can continue to take Rogaine and generic propecia to help maintain the hair that I do have but, 1) I've used those two for the past few years and I am still losing hair, so I am not completely confident in their success, and 2) the generic propecia gives me sexual side effects, so I really would like to stay off of it completely.

So, I am stuck in a situation where I will have the scenario I described above if I get my first HT, where I will be seen as an obvious HT patient b/c of the hair loss behind the transplanted hair? For those who have thought about or experienced this, what did you do about it?

This has got to be an issue for many people but I've searched this forum for topics on it and can't seem to find any. Please help.

I have a similar situation and I think it is about finiding a long term game plan.

Maybe you could do a conservative HT first to restablish the hairline (say 2000 grafts or something) and leave another 2000-3000+ in the bank for an op 5-10 years down the line.

Of course you would need a good donor area for that.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

If you're experiencing side effects from propecia you should either stop completely or take half a dosage of the medication every day and see if that helps. Consult with your doctor about it. What you are asking if a very common concern, and is something you must discuss with your surgeon. They need to look at your donor supply and see how much you have and if you have enough to keep up with your native loss in the future. Many people have enough to give themselves a nice hairline and frontal 1/3 but may not have enough to keep their crown. So see what situation you're in and see if the results they expect for you in the future is what you are comfortable with.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians