letter to the Senate Committee

john36

John,

The hair transplant industry as a whole is riddled with historical controversy and even today, is not governed or regulated by the medical profession.

But thanks to the patient revolution started over 10 years ago on this site by Patrick Hennessey, physicians are now held publicly accountable by patients who share genuine experiences and photos daily.

Additionally, with the help of dedicated and ethical surgeons in the field, we've created high standards for recommending only surgeons who consistently product results of the highest caliber. To see how we recommend surgeons, click here. This way, patients (not doctors) get the final say in who meets our high standards and is recommended here.

Perhaps if the Senate gets involved, the high standards set by this community will become the norm and be used to regulate the hair transplant industry as a whole.

Unfortunately, not every hair transplant surgeon in the industry has evolved their technique to meet the standards set by this patient based community. This is why research in physician selection is vital to ensure the success of a hair transplant.

I don't want to kid anyone into thinking that hair transplant surgery is not without risks. Every surgical procedure has potential complications. The benefits, limitations, and potential risks should be discussed with your surgeon prior to agreeing to undergo hair restoration.

But many dedicated and ethical physicians, especially those recommended on the Hair Transplant Network perform high quality hair transplants with excellent results on a daily basis.

John, I know that you are upset based on your personal experience, and rightfully so. But you are taking your very specific situation and generalizing it.

I encourage you to take some time and look through the multitude of patient posted photo albums and blogs to see some of the excellent results some doctors are producing on a consistent basis.

Perhaps in time, if you wish, you can consider seeking repair work for your situation and being getting on with your life.

All the Best,

Bill

John,

Thanks for taking a stand against unethical and unlawful medical practice.

I assume that by posting this here, you are open to some constructive feedback.

I agree wholeheartedly that any surgeon who performs HT surgery should be either a board certified/Diplomate hair transplant surgeon or working under the direct supervision of one, with the patient's consent. I also agree that any medical care performed should be done by licensed health care professionals working within their legal scope of practice and with full disclosure and patient's informed consent.

I believe, however, that you may need to refine your statement concerning who can legally administer anesthesia. Who (LVN, RN, CRNA, MD, or Anesthesiologist) can administer a given anesthetic is legally determined by the substance involved, and varies state to state. Just something to consider.

Thanks again and keep fighting the good fight.

Best Wishes,

-Vasilius

Vasilius,

The only problem is that being a "board certified" diplomate of the ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery) in hair transplantation doesn't necessarily equate to a physician's regular production of consistent and excellent results in the surgical center. This is why our patient driven community is an extremely valuable tool for prospective patients to research and see regular examples of today's results from a particular clinic they are considering.

I do believe medical regulation of the field would be a huge step. Perhaps if this happens they'll see and adopt our high standards for patient care and ultra refined techniques to regulate the industry.

Bill

Bill,

You're absolutely right, passing a board doesn't make a good surgeon, but it *should* at least require a physician to pass a standardized, rigorous evaluation by their peers. Medical knowledge & techniques are too complex for those outside the profession to evaluate, so the professionals must self-regulate from within as much as possible. This seems to be lacking in the HT field.

I agree that the most important thing a HT patient can do is research and select a surgeon with a proven reputation for excellence, and this forum is extremely helpful in this.

Yeah, we rock. Pat yourself on the back :-)

-Vasilius

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

John,

The hair transplant industry as a whole is riddled with historical controversy and even today, is not governed or regulated by the medical profession.

But thanks to the patient revolution started over 10 years ago on this site by Patrick Hennessey, physicians are now held publicly accountable by patients who share genuine experiences and photos daily.

Additionally, with the help of dedicated and ethical surgeons in the field, we've created high standards for recommending only surgeons who consistently product results of the highest caliber. To see how we recommend surgeons, click here. This way, patients (not doctors) get the final say in who meets our high standards and is recommended here.

Perhaps if the Senate gets involved, the high standards set by this community will become the norm and be used to regulate the hair transplant industry as a whole.

Unfortunately, not every hair transplant surgeon in the industry has evolved their technique to meet the standards set by this patient based community. This is why research in physician selection is vital to ensure the success of a hair transplant.

I don't want to kid anyone into thinking that hair transplant surgery is not without risks. Every surgical procedure has potential complications. The benefits, limitations, and potential risks should be discussed with your surgeon prior to agreeing to undergo hair restoration.

But many dedicated and ethical physicians, especially those recommended on the Hair Transplant Network perform high quality hair transplants with excellent results on a daily basis.

John, I know that you are upset based on your personal experience, and rightfully so. But you are taking your very specific situation and generalizing it.

I encourage you to take some time and look through the multitude of patient posted photo albums and blogs to see some of the excellent results some doctors are producing on a consistent basis.

Perhaps in time, if you wish, you can consider seeking repair work for your situation and being getting on with your life.

All the Best,

Bill

Bill,

While its a great thing that this site does wasn't these some high standards that you write about that had Dr white of NHI listed as a recommended option on this site.

The problem i still see is as another forum member BeHappy put it

"As for research. When someone gets a toothache does anyone expect them to spend 6 months to a year researching various dentists to see which one can do a root canal or pull a tooth? No, of course not! So why should I be expected to research for that long for a procedure which is supposedly just like going to the dentist (or so it's advertised as)"

http://hair-restoration-info.c...04?r=6621037#6621037

And i completely agree with that statement.

Now if a physician recommended on this site were to screw up you state held publicly accountable but would that really mean much since as be happy put it

"They just keep going about their business while we are left in misery for years"

Optimus Prime,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I am not familiar with Dr. White, nor to my knowledge was he ever recommended on this site. If he was, it was way before my time (and apparently yours since you only registered on this forum this year).

If this community has taught me anything, it's that perhaps we should spend as much time researching other medical professionals as we do hair transplant surgeons. As a case in point, my wife went to a different dentist than our usual (at my recommendation foolishly) to save money. Unfortunately, she got what she paid for and received a subpar crown.

How do you know that a medical professional is really first-rate? Research. And whether you see it this way or not, offline word of mouth is a form of research. How did you find your doctor or your dentist? Perhaps it was through trial and error, but in many cases, it's because a family member or friend recommended them to you and you trusted their recommendation. This community is full of consumer based experiences and photos for prospective patients to make informed decisions.

Complications can occur in any surgery. But doctors recommended on this site will stand behind their patients or they will no longer be recommended here. Also, to retain their recommendation, doctors must continue to provide consistent and excellent results based on our standards.

Is there something you are still confused on?

Bill

Originally posted by Vasilius:

John,

Thanks for taking a stand against unethical and unlawful medical practice.

I assume that by posting this here, you are open to some constructive feedback.

I agree wholeheartedly that any surgeon who performs HT surgery should be either a board certified/Diplomate hair transplant surgeon or working under the direct supervision of one, with the patient's consent. I also agree that any medical care performed should be done by licensed health care professionals working within their legal scope of practice and with full disclosure and patient's informed consent.

I believe, however, that you may need to refine your statement concerning who can legally administer anesthesia. Who (LVN, RN, CRNA, MD, or Anesthesiologist) can administer a given anesthetic is legally determined by the substance involved, and varies state to state. Just something to consider.

Thanks again and keep fighting the good fight.

Best Wishes,

-Vasilius

Hey welcome wings icon_smile.gif

Of course I am. Thanks for pointing that out. I too was married to a nurse (now divorced) and remember my ex told me that in Ohio nurse can not administer anesthesia. Surgical technicians definitely not. Even when one goes to a dentist (at least in Ohio) the dentist, the doc administer anesthesia. Type of anesthesia use in HT is similar to one used in dental practice (administered in much larger dosage though).Of course CRNA, MD, or Anesthesiologist can always administer it in every state.

I don't work in the medical field. I work for a security department in public school system.

Contacting Senator might seem far reaching, but I would not be surprised on prompt response. I have contacted Senator Voinovich once (regarding work related matter)he personally responded (not his case work office).

Senators read letters from citizens. I encourage anyone who wishes to do so (by USA postal mail though, don't waste time with email icon_smile.gif)

Thank you for reading my post

John,

Always good to meet a fellow Buckeye icon_smile.gif

I've got a buddy who has contacted his Congressman several times, and always gets better response from snail mail, especially hand-written letters..maybe they stand out more to the gatekeepers(?)

-Vasilius

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Optimus Prime,

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I am not familiar with Dr. White, nor to my knowledge was he ever recommended on this site. If he was, it was way before my time (and apparently yours since you only registered on this forum this year).

If this community has taught me anything, it's that perhaps we should spend as much time researching other medical professionals as we do hair transplant surgeons. As a case in point, my wife went to a different dentist than our usual (at my recommendation foolishly) to save money. Unfortunately, she got what she paid for and received a subpar crown.

How do you know that a medical professional is really first-rate? Research. And whether you see it this way or not, offline word of mouth is a form of research. How did you find your doctor or your dentist? Perhaps it was through trial and error, but in many cases, it's because a family member or friend recommended them to you and you trusted their recommendation. This community is full of consumer based experiences and photos for prospective patients to make informed decisions.

Complications can occur in any surgery. But doctors recommended on this site will stand behind their patients or they will no longer be recommended here. Also, to retain their recommendation, doctors must continue to provide consistent and excellent results based on our standards.

Is there something you are still confused on?

Bill

Bill

Your condescending reply was neither warranted nor unexpected.

I am referring to Dr Barry White.

Whilst you are right we should spend much more time researching other medical professionals, since as you noted we never really do know if they are really first rate or not.But, since this topic is on this specific industry, let's keep it directed at that.

Is there something else you're confused on?

Wow, John. That was a long post. I can't believe I read most of it. I agree that the industry could benefit from some "oversight", whether it be forums vetting docs or the government examining the practice, etc. My preference is for patient based sites like this to weed out the unethical docs. Politicians getting involved usually make matters worse for "everyone"...and in the end nothing really changes. At least with this site I can, and did, get trustworth referrals of very ethical docs who do topnotch work. I won't get that from the government no matter what the field. Can anyone say "subprime"?.

In fact, I had surgery on my knee and while I was under anesthesia the surgeon discovers they don't have the proper pins and had to use a different size pin?! Surprisingly, the repair didn't hold and I was back in for round 2, which was how I found out about the wrong sized pins. This time they sutured the cartilage but anchored the suture outside. Within a month I discovered some necrosis and my knee really hurt. I went back and the emergency doc panicked, thinking I had infection in the joint and scheduled me for immediate surgery to remove the entire cartilage, which another surgeon did. Turns out it was only inflammation, not infection as nothing grew in the culture dish, and now I have no cartilage and a future of possible arthritus. The surgical field is probably well regulated, but shit happens sometimes. I suppose I could sue but I want to focus positively on the future and not wear a "woe is me" face for the lawyers for the next 3 years. Besides, it was not intentional. They had my best interests at heart.

As for someones comment that it's hard to do research when you have a toothache...we're they really serious? C'mon, a toothache by it's very name infers "pain". A HT does not involve pain that must be remedied immediately thus making research impractical. It's like saying "ouch, i really need to find someone to give me a facelift...NOW!

I feel for you John, and I wish you all the best in your struggle. I know you are just trying to help people not make a mistake...and that's an admirable goal. Don't let it consume you though.

Kman

Sure, MORE government intervention. That's the answer. Because government officials like Senator Biden, whose name was affixed to the Senate letter above, are authorities and experts on hair transplantation. Right? Take a close look at those plugs and tell me if the Vice President elect has a clue about how the HT industry should be run. Doesn't everyone run to Delaware for hair transplant services?

I hate to tell you this, John, but the only people who benefit from government interference in business are the bad guys.

For example, our government just gave 7 trillion dollars in bailouts to companies whose poor business practices caused them to fail, and they did so at the expense of those businesses and individuals who've acted prudently and responsibly. The good guys lost and the bad guys won??¦ that's the result of government interference, John.

The best way to cause stagnation in an industry, or to outright kill it, is to have the reprobates in congress regulate it 'in the name of 'ethics' and 'fairness'. Government officials can hardly call themselves the paragons of 'ethics', and the word 'fairness' has been so distorted and perverted by legislators, supreme jurists, and morally bankrupt executives that it has completely lost any meaning.

No matter the service or industry, there will be good and bad practitioners. One can not legislate nor regulate past a certain level of competence. And like it or not, if a person has received a medical license it is because he has demonstrated a greater than average competence level.

ANY doctor can perform HT because such surgery is WELL within any licensed doctors competence level. It's just not that hard a procedure to perform and does not require any special training. But some people are better at it than others. Why? Dedication and Logistics. And the only way you are going to know which doctors excel in those two departments is by doing research.

Thanks to the internet and sites like this one, research is a breeze. I can look at five examples of any two doctors I've never met and tell you which one is better. So can any layman who uses the FIND feature of this site. That's way better than any bogus 'board certification'.

We don't need more government interference. We need more personal responsibility on the part of patients and transparency on the part of doctors.

If you REALLY want to clean up this industry, require every doctor to take photos of EVERY patient he performs surgery on, and then require that those photos be published online with a summary of the salient facts of the case. Do that, and 90% of the HT clinics will go out of business. But don't worry about them, they will then apply to congress for an HT industry bailout??¦and they'll get it.

Less government, more personal responsibility.

Dr. Feller

John,

Unfortunately, there are doctors out there who refuse to update their technique and do what is best for their wallet rather than the patient. If you are specifically targeting these physicians (generally speaking) with this post, I can understand your outrage.

The problem is that you have taken your less than favorable personal experience and are targeting the hair transplant industry as a whole. You demand high standards and reformation, but fail to see that it has already been put into practice by this community. Many leading and ethical surgeons, especially those recommended by the Hair Transplant Network regularly meet these high standards and regularly produce consistent and excellent results.

If you take the time to look through the photo albums and blogs I've referenced and linked to above, I think the evidence is indisputable.

John, I appreciate that you'd like to see doctors who fail to meet our standards reform and evolve their technique. But all we can do in this community is seek out those doctors that have and bring them to this community for consideration for recommendation.

I think it's time for you to see past your personal experience and see how much this community's high standards has helped patients find quality doctors who are regularly meeting your demands for the best results. Recognizing this will help you avoid doctors that are still using old school techniques and find the doctors who have ultra refined their technique.

Best Regards,

Bill

The other problem is that once a patient has been butchered, he has no where to go for resolution. He could file a medical malpractice lawsuit, but most attorneys will not accept those cases. Why? Because to prosecute a medical malpractice case, you must have a hair transplant doctor willing to say that the other doctor committed malpractice. Finding a doctor willing to do that, at an affordable price, is like finding a needle in a haystack.

We don't need more government interference. We need more personal responsibility on the part of patients and transparency on the part of doctors.

Right on Dr. Feller!

In today's technological age, information is readily available at just about every user's finger tips. Our community is highly visible on the web, and just by doing a search on Google for "hair transplant", we come up number one.

Physicians recommended by this community agree to be highly transparent, be critiqued and evaluated by patients, and regularly present examples of their work on this forum. Never has it been so easy to find the best doctors and make informed decisions.

Patients must recognize their own personal responsibility in learning as much as possible about the procedure and the best doctors that perform them. Though surgery is not without risks no matter which doctor a patient chooses, selecting a physician with a proven history of producing excellent results using ultra refined techniques will significantly reduce the risks.

John, I agree that blame should be passed on surgeons who are moer concerned about their wallet than patient well being. But patients need to take personal responsibility for their choices which is why its best to research all their options before hand.

Bill

I wish my HT was performed by a doctor. It was not. It was performed 5% by doctor and 95% by:

Consultant, surgical technicians and hair dresser. But that according to 3 HT surgeons one recommended here is within the acceptable standard of care. Really?

With this false and misleading statement, I am locking this thread.

John, I've talked to you before about misquoting physicians. The doctor you are referring to did not say with certainty that your doctor followed procedures of standard patient care. All he said is that he couldn't substantiate that your doctor breached them since he didn't witness the surgery. As a result, he wouldn't sign anything helping your legal battle against your doctor.

John, please do not create any more threads of this nature that disparage the hair transplant industry as a whole, nor quote any other doctors out of context. Please don't make me warn you again.

It's time to take some personal responsibility for your choices and move forward to attempt to get your personal situation settled.

Thank you,

Bill