Worried about thin area after HT

I'm exactly at 4 months post op. Hair coming in. Problem is there is a patch about the size of a quarter coin on my one temple area that is much thinner than the rest of the new hair coming in. I'd say 50% thinner. It's very noticible in the mirror and photos. Should I be worried at this point? I'm worried the hairs in this area did not take.

Glad to hear your regrowth is taking off. I would not be concerned at this point in time with the less dense spot. The transplanted follicles emerge in their respective growth cycle intermittently.

Give it more time. You should really notice alot more growth in the next several months! :)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Stop worrying, it could be stress -seriously.

A few years ago, I was changing jobs and my stress level was very high. A patch of hair, roughly the size of a quarter fell out. Luckily for me, it was near the bottom of the back of my head near the neckline.

After the job transition was complete, the stress I was feeling passed as well. Hair started growing in over the patch. Oddly enough, even though my hair is brown, at first it grew in gray but eventually, my natural color returned as well.

I'm not saying that this is what's happening to you but I'm suggesting that it could be a possibility.

Also, 4 months is a relatively short time period. You have to realize that the hair is generally going to grow in thinner at first but will eventually get thicker. I know you're anxious - just give it time.

John,

At this point in time, it's far too early to worry about any sort of uneven growth or "thinner" areas. Altogether, you should wait a full 12 months before evaluating the results of a hair transplant procedure. Additionally, if you're worried about areas of progressive thinning, you may want to research proven preventive techniques like minoxidil and finasteride.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

steve0580,

My brother had the same thing resulting from high stress levels in his job. He had several spots roughly the size of a quarter (coin). This was eventually diagnosed as alopecia areata which can happen during stressful times.

And like yours, his also grew back in once he got through the stressful time.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY