"They would have fallen out anyway"

Whenever shockloss is discussed I always hear that it may effect the surrounding hairs "that would have fallen anyway" (in time).

Ive been wondering if someone has a thinning area that is slowly going bald over the years, how would he know if these "hairs that were would have fallen out anyway" might have stayed for another 3 years or more? Wouldn't transplanting into that area be a step backward potentially?

Then we would be talking about a 2nd procedure to fill what the first procedure may have shocked. I see this in some larger FUE cases. The natural hair pattern (however thin) is replaced by a big area that is less natural to the eye and needs more work to look full or natural again.

Any thoughts?

M.

Are we talking about permanent loss?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Blake,

Yea I was wondering about permanent loss. How in some cases it seems the natural pattern of the hairline (even if it is receded) is lost to a bigger area that has been transplanted into that may look less natural.

And those shocked hairs that were lost are always described as "ones that would have fallen out anyway". I was wondering how one would know when they would have fallen out? could it be YEARS down the line? is there anyway to tell? (that's kind of a silly question but what the heck) Thanks, M.

If the hairs lool weak, thin and don't have much color to them then chances are they are on their way out in with time or they could remain that way but not improve density if they jave really miniturized. Thick and healthy hair should be fine as long as there is no transection.

I was wondering the same thing.There is still hair on my temples and frontal third.My originial hair color is brown but these remained hairs are finer and yellowish colored.İf I lose these hairs because of transplant I'll return to where I started in the end.this really scares me.I dont want to accelerate hairloss

Hey Mag,

I think there are two different factors at play here:

1. Hairs that are affected by "shock loss"

2. Hairs that are affected by progressive androgenic alopecia.

In shock loss, follicles are essentially "shocked" into a sudden telogen state secondary to some sort of trauma or physiological surprise to the surrounding area. For example, sometimes shock loss is seen in surrounding hairs where a large number of follicular unit grafts are implanted or around the post-operative FUT scar.

Because the follicles are shocked into a telogen state, it can take anywhere from 3-4 months (with some even reporting 5), for the state to finish and restart with a healthy 2-7 year anagen cycle. However, as long as these follicles aren't affected by androgenic alopecia (genetic hair loss), they should return as normal, and I don't think it's correct to say they would have "fallen out anyway."

In androgenic alopecia, the hair loss is progressive and areas surrounding the implanted grafts may be in some state of permanent loss. Because of this, these hairs may completely shed or become very thin and appear nearly invisible during the time that the newly implanted hairs are growing and thickening. These hairs, if left untreated, ARE likely to shed and not return, and I think it is safe to say that they would "fall out anyway."

It seems like your surgeon may have been referring more to progressive androgenic alopecia, as opposed to temporary shock loss. If he/she really did believe the hairs surrounding the implanted area would be affected by shock loss, these should return in 3-5 months.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

In androgenic alopecia, the hair loss is progressive and areas surrounding the implanted grafts may be in some state of permanent loss. Because of this, these hairs may completely shed or become very thin and appear nearly invisible during the time that the newly implanted hairs are growing and thickening. These hairs, if left untreated, ARE likely to shed and not return, and I think it is safe to say that they would "fall out anyway."

Thanks Blake, Yea this is what I'm wondering about because when I do take the plunge the doctor will need to be implanting around hairs in a "thinning area". Im just trying to determine (or guess) how much I will potentially lose because of the HT process in that area. Or if those hairs may have stayed a few more years before eventually falling out. I guess the answer depends on many factors.

I'm still trying to figure it all out before I have a procedure done. Don't want to leave anything to chance, although so much of life is just that.

Thanks for the help on this journey. M.

Shock loss is uncommon and should not be counted upon as a sure thing. As Blake stated, if you experience shock loss the hairs will grow back within 4 months. I'm not sure it matters how thin they are. If the hairs never grow back then they were not affected by shock loss but by androgenic alopecia.

Thesis: A HT will not cause permanent loss of hair.