Transplanted Hair loss 2 years post surgery

I had 3,000 grafts transplanted about 2 years ago with a world class clinic.

Six months post op, my grafts came in beautifully.

However, over the past 2 months, i noticed a significant density loss (of the transplanted hair).

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone advice my what to do? Can i nurse by transplanted grafts to life?

As you imagine, this is a very difficult experience and any kind of advice/help would be appreciated.

Johnc168,

You are not alone! I am also in the middle of the same experience. When did your transplanted hair begin to fall out? It is quite possible that your hair, unlike mine, is going through a telogen phase and will re-emerge after a 3 month dormant stage.

Prezident

You really need to wait 12-15 months before you will see your final result. During that time period you may experience some times when things are looking great and times when it looks like you are going backwards. Are you taking Propecia, using Rogaine, or laser treatments? In the near future we may find that PRP treatments may be helpful in situations similar to yours.

Dr. Charles,

I underwent a 3500 FUE procedure in September 2007. Over the following year all of the transplanted hair grew in beautifully. However, around November 2008, the transplanted hair began to fall out and continues to fall out to date. Consulted with both an internest and a dermatologist. Blood work yielded perfect results and i am not taking any meds that would cause hair loss. The docs are mystified as well. I have obviously far surpassed 12-15 months post-op. Your personal thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Prezident

Prezident

Spex,

The native hair in zone 1 on the left side was so minimal before the HT that I would pretty much classify it as bald. My procedure was limited to restoring zone 1. It is unquestionable that I have lost a significant amount of transplanted hair, especially on the left side. Several theories have been advanced by Bill and Thana in another thread enhtitled 'new hair transplant device by Dr. Harris revolutionizes FUE procedure'. You will find it under the forum entitled 'hair transplant experiences and surgeon reviews'. One of the articles posted by Bill that was authored by Dr. Feller was by far the most informative that I have encountered on the FUE procedure. Even though my transplanted hair initially grew in beautifully, i firmly believe that over time the follicles eventually died off in the recipient site because, in the long run, they were unable to recover from the three traumatic forces that they were subjected to during the extraction process. These forces are outlined in great detail in Dr. Fellers publication. At this point, it is the only plausible explanation for what I am experiencing.

Prezident

Is the synchronized telogen shed common to all transplant recepients or is this a rare occurence?

It partly makes sense, since all the transplanted hair are transplanted at the same time, yet, the transplanted hair does not ALL enter into the anagen phase at the same time, so why do we have such a thing as a "synchronized telogen shed"?

Comments/Advice?

take care...

Mmhce,

There is fairly well documented evidence of synchronicity of hair cycles due to a wide range of exposures (e.g., minoxidil, excessive elongation of the anagen cycle, pregnancy, etc.). All of these, and others, are posible mechanisms for hairs simultaneoulsy entering a telegen phase, thus one would appear to experience a result simular to what would appear to be telogen effluvium.

That is my opinon.

Originally posted by mmhce:

Is the synchronized telogen shed common to all transplant recepients or is this a rare occurence?

It partly makes sense, since all the transplanted hair are transplanted at the same time, yet, the transplanted hair does not ALL enter into the anagen phase at the same time, so why do we have such a thing as a "synchronized telogen shed"?

Comments/Advice?

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE