How many grafts do I need

johnwest

Hi folks,

Long time reader here. Not a big poster so far. I am a 31 year old male and I have being receeding and thinning somewhat over the past 3 to 4 years. I noticed it especially got worse about a year ago. About 6 to 7 months ago I started Proscar 5 mg cut into four and taken daily and also started using Regaine and Nizoral shampoo.

I shed considerably soon after I started the medications and overall it now seems to have grown back to where I was at just before I started the meds but no notable improvement. Perhaps a small improvement at the crown but no real gains at the front or temples. Hence I am at the point where I am considering a FUT HT.

The thing I had an online consulation with one clinic and was told I needed approx 2,200 to 2,500 hairs transplanted into frontal hair line, temples and crown. I physically went into another clinic and was told I needed approx 500 to 600 at frontal hairline. Mainly near temples but also some at centre of frontal hairline to get some density back. They recommended I should not get any at crown yet as the hairloss there is not so noticeable and that area tends to take a lot of hairs.

I would tend to agree that hairloss in my crown area is pobably not bad enough to warrant a HT into that area yet. But still 500-600 hairs versus 2,200 to 2,500?

I would be most grateful if somebody with a bit of knowledge in this area could take a look at my pictures and advise on approx how many hairs I would need to get back some decent density in my frontal hairline and fill in temples that have receeded with a nice strongish hairline

Restoration3.jpg.d2861b00c7cc42e44ebf69d662954d33.jpg

Restoration6.jpg.6a90b8a71990f2ecd300a65bbf337d94.jpg

Restoration10.jpg.4cf678dcf461037a65dd21c908b9aa91.jpg

Restoration8.jpg.3476f9bc27876aba23b6c52e2e1b4179.jpg

Hi mate, I'd definitely agree that the crown looks pretty fine for the time being! I wouldn't be worried about that personally. Have to say, the pics aren't the best! It's really difficult to see the density, but I would say that 1000-1500 grafts would restore the frontal area nicely. It's worth pointing out that the wild difference in the two consultations could be down to grafts vs hairs. 600 grafts would probably work out at around 1500 hairs total. One of the senior guys will be of more accurate help, but will most likely comment on the need for improved pictures to get a true appreciation! All the best.

1750-2000 I reckon but the photos arent the best.

I think you should give the meds another 6 months to check there is no further deterioration in the hairline, then consider the HT.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day