Introduction of Dr James DeYarman to HTN

Introduction for Dr James DeYarman

I would like to introduce myself, my staff and my methods to the hair transplant network. I have over 30 years of experience in hair restoration and my staff has a combined experience of over 40 years. We perform FUT and FUE transplantation. I will go over my method.

I start the planning of the procedure by examining the donor area with a video microscope and keep on file a photo of the patient’s donor density. After discussion of the hair line design I photograph the area and use photo shop to add hair to the photo to give the patient an idea on what we will be trying to achieve. I like to use a grid over the transplanted area for graft distribution and hair line design.

The strip is removed with a single blade and prior to closing an Acell strip is placed in the donor bed. Trichophytic closure is performed with staples.

The tissue is dissected with microscopes and I have a photo of the grafts we create.

The recipient sites are created as lateral slits by creating the blades with a custom cutter device matching the blade size to the size of the grafts. The techs insert the grafts and I have them use holding cups on their finger with PPP in the cup as the holding solution. If we do not do PRP then I use hypersol as the holding solution.

After the sites are created I inject .1cc of PRP every square centimeter over the transplanted area.

If I am doing FUE I like to inject Acell solution in the donor area and PRP in the recipient area.

The patient leaves the office and is instructed in post-op care on how to prevent swelling and returns to the office in 10 days for staple removal.

Video photo of patients donor area.bmp

5b32d5da1228a_areabeforesitecreation.jpg.5616fb0502a191d4efe2d3c35485ed25.jpg

5b32d5da40182_DonorareabeforeclosingwithTrichophticstripremoved.jpg.70fba1b1561b53d1aaf7c8cd2d67bca0.jpg

5b32d5da4e635_close-upofstapledarea.jpg.25a81a1c23f9c43bce9578b1f6e0ab02.jpg

5b32d5da63a6d_Techpreformingmicroscopicdissection.jpg.cb6c7b2a812c854352b32f45e2135ee5.jpg

5b32d5da6fcf3_2hairgraft.jpg.93f17449f0ba4fbffc42f37205f1e4d0.jpg

5b32d5da86467_custumbladecutter.jpg.3f9c760bcb9c23494b0fae8cf7236be9.jpg

5b32d5da9bc70_creatingsiteswithsingleblade.jpg.4f1d4e027b5049bc68f8ab494e024a52.jpg

5b32d5dab4470_graftplacementwithholdingcupswithacellandPRP.jpg.a07e98156ba048843d1ad7cce5433058.jpg

5b32d5dacacf8_topofhead10dayspost-op.jpg.1c41d60515c9ed59b253088fe2e8b038.jpg

Dr. DeYarman,

Good to hear from you! Thank you for sharing this nice introduction. It sounds like you're really striving to use the best, most advanced techniques possible, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

A few questions:

1. Could you explain why you choose to use staples over sutures? Also, how do you think this affects the efficacy of the trichophytic closure?

2. In the description, you state: "I have them (the techs) use holding cups on their fingers with PPP in the cup as the holding solution." Is PPP different than PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma), or was this a typo?

3. What has been your experience with ACell and PRP? It's interesting to see another physician using these methods in conjunction with traditional hair transplantation techniques, and I'd love to hear more!

Again, thank you for sharing!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future_HT_Doc

Thanks for the great questions.

First in requards to the staple over sutures. I have found that staples give a better scar. Sutures will strangulate hair folliciles and cause hair loss along the scar line. Staples are more uncomfortable for the patient but willl give the best result for the scar.

The second question was a good pick-up on your part in seeing the PPP instead of the PRP. When you create PRP the centrifudge goes through two speeds. The first cycle the blood cells are seperated from the Plasma and the second cycle the platelets are contrated in the plasma. When you draw off the plasma it is referred to as platelett poor plasma and has some platelets and grow factors in the plasma. I have used this as a holding solutions for the grafts. I feel this is better then normal saline.

In reguards to Acell and PRP. I was first introduced to Acell by Dr Jerry Cooley. He recommended an Acell strip of 2mm in width placed in the donor bed prior to closing. This will promote healing and repair of hair follicles in the area. The scar line might be red post-op but it will clear up to give a nice result.

I think PRP should be used on every hair transplant procedure. I inject .1cc every square centimeter in the area transplanted. All patients that I transplant that are having a second procedure where they did not get PRP the first time are amazed how fast they heal and the reddness clears up faster. I have seen patients where the hair will start to grow back in the second month. Since there is no side affects and safe why not do this to help the outcome of the transplant.

Dr. DeYarman,

Thank you for the reply. I'm intrigued by the idea of using "PPP" as a medium for the grafts. I haven't heard of this before, but it seems logical and also makes a nice addition to a procedure with PRP.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I dont understand is this the same Dr. DeYarmin that was removed from being a coalition doctor and sued HTN?

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Lorenzo,

While there were some issues in the past which resulted in a lawsuit, which was soon after dismissed, Pat and I genuinely believe that all concerns have long since been resolved. We feel it's best to leave the past behind and thus, we're reconsidering Dr. DeYarman for Coalition membership.

Best wishes,

Bill

Ok fair enough thanks Bill.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson