Should I go through with an HT?

Hello everybody,

I am now 27. I have been losing hair since I was 16 and have been on propecia/proscar since I was 18. Things have stayed pretty much the same since Propecia really kicked in at about age 19. But I have never been happy with my receded temples and want to get them filled in so I can have nice long hair again. My hair looks far better when dry than when wet as you can see from the pictures.

I have surgery scheduled with Dr. Pathomvanich on March 29th. I really want to just get some opinions on going through with the procedure in my mid/late 20s and if my expectations are reasonable. I dont want to "lower" my hairline, just fill in my temples so I dont have this extreme widows's peak anymore. The dry hair pics and the hairline drawn on there is about what I am looking for.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by JohnJohnB

Hi JohnJohnB,

Did finasteride lose efficacy after so many years? I'm in a similar condition but I'm 24 and started medication recently.I'm planning a hairtransplant in two years and dr path is on top of my list.I find your goal very achievable so I'll follow your case very closely.

Good luck to you

Hi JohnJohnB,

Did finasteride lose efficacy after so many years? I'm in a similar condition but I'm 24 and started medication recently.I'm planning a hairtransplant in two years and dr path is on top of my list.I find your goal very achievable so I'll follow your case very closely.

Good luck to you

Capa,

I think it might have lost a little bit of its efficacy after all this time. About a year ago I bumped up to a 1.25 mg dose of proscar (5mg pills cut in quarters). I still think finasteride works wonders and I am sure I would be very bald if I had not started on it at a young age. I have never had any side effects and have no problems continuing to take it for the rest of my life. I use nizoral shampoo, just started a laser comb, take biotin supplements and even do this ridiculous scalp exercise I read about. I have used minoxidil on and off but it gives me such serious dandruff that it is just not worth it.

I am still pretty nervous about going through with the procedure but I can't wait to give it a shot with a respected doctor.

I think what you are trying to achieve is realistic. How many grafts have been proposed and by which method?

I have gotten 3 consultations so far. 1 Dr in the US recommended 1000 grafts and another in the US recommended 2000-2500. Dr. Path who I will be going with thanks to the reviews on this site recommended 2000-2500 in an FUT. I will probably tell him to cap it at 2000 since I don't want to be too aggressive right now.

I personally think 2000 grafts should be more than enough to accomplish the lines you drew in your photos. May be able to even get away with between 1700 and 1800!! You're in good hands with Dr. Path! Keep us posted on your journey buddy!!!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.