10 months post-op pics, posted in correct place :) (Strip, mixed grafts)

Joe HT

Went in rather blind. I'm happy with it, the Dr had to cover quite an area. I have no before pics, but I'll look for the older post-op pics later. Hair intentionally kept just a bit shorter than normal so you can spot graftiness and scar.

ht1.jpg

ht2.jpg

ht3.jpg

ht4.jpg

ht5.jpg

ht6.jpg

ht7.jpg

ht8.jpg

Went in rather blind. I'm happy with it, the Dr had to cover quite an area. I have no before pics, but I'll look for the older post-op pics later. Hair intentionally kept just a bit shorter than normal so you can spot graftiness and scar.

ht1.jpg

ht2.jpg

ht3.jpg

ht4.jpg

ht5.jpg

ht6.jpg

ht7.jpg

ht8.jpg

It's not all-FU. icon_frown.gif Maybe looking closer you can tell. Full coverage mixed-graft megasession.

Wish I could do better for the forum, but I kinda found the place after the work was done; I would have had some before pics.

Details are posted in the dupe set of pics I posted in "Post Your Own New Topics."

I lucked out, basically. As far as I'm concerned. There are arguments against mixed sessions and the doctors that do them, but in the end, as someone who expected at least 3 sessions and knew there could be 'plugginess' down the road that would have to be FU'd, I could've gotten butchered pretty bad.

I can wear my hair short, I don't feel like I ever had an operation, and usually am comfortable telling people who ask where the heck the hair came from that I had a transplant. icon_smile.gif

I would go to the same doctor again for at least my second procedure. He does offer options other than mixed sessions, but honestly I'd take his word on the next step even if he suggested a mixed session again, before I resorted to FUE.

well, whatever the mawtter..

you have nicely dispenced coverage, and it looks great.

Heck, I don't think I could have recognized that you had work done, if you didn't say so.

So, what's the secret? How many grafts, and who's the Dr.?

Looks like he did some really good work!

Dr Karamikian, NYC and Long Island offices.

As I've said, no graft count, as it was mixed.

I was not 100% skin-bald, just terribly sparse with hairs that were leaving and too light to pass for headhair, across most of my head, from the back of the crown to what would be a hairline area. I do NOT wish to advocate mixed-grafts or anything or imply a typical mixed graft session on a bald head would lead to good results. The remaining hairs no doubt lend to softening the 'plug' look of mini's and I expect to need more work done. I just happen to be happy, personally, with the surgery itself, as well as the doctor, for what I did pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

I had mixed grafts in ignorance. I had 1800 of them. I received 2k fue and still notice plugginess. I may just get them removed. I have close to 4k of grafts. The mixed grafts stick out real bad where I had no hair. It seems you need more grafts to cover mixed grafts to blend in with the large grafts.My large grafts don't lighten up in the sun like the smaller ones.

Hey Joe

Are you using Propecia?

Honestly it looks better than I would hav e guessed, but pics are usually deceiving even in the bets circumstances.

Just wondering if Propecia may be adding something to the mix. If you're not using it, you should consider it... with your diffuse pattern it may be a help.

Yeah the doc put me on Propecia, but I went and got generic finasteride which I hope is real. I'll be switching to the genuine stuff soon enough. Rogaine for good measure, and what the heck, Saw Palmetto as a redundant cheap additive to the mix. If anything it looks better longer, but I just buzz my head anyway (except now I gotta use an attachment).

You've got a 'net gain' of hair. It doesn't seem grafty-looking to me (does it look grafty in person?). If you don't look pluggy at that short length, then you almost certainly wouldn't look pluggy at any length. I agree with the other person who recommended you let your hair grow out a bit.

If I were you I'd keep up with the Propecia and whatever else you're using, and coast along with what you're working with now. It looks to me like Propecia is working for you. I'd even predict that you will continue to improve on where you're at right now. If you can avoid getting any more surgery in the future, then you've come out ahead of the game.

When you first started posting here, I was worried that you might have some trouble with your hair transplant, but as far as I can tell, it seems like you are doing just fine. Way to go Joe!

i think your hair looks good. grow it out man. stop shaving it. i think hair looks much more pluggy when short - not to say yours but in general the longer it is the better it can be concealed.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I make it a point to ask if 'plugs' are noticeable to my gf and other people, and they can't tell. I think I can tell, personally, very little. Actually I'd be perfectly happy, but as arfy said, I'm guessing the propecia is helping just enough to fill things in. There were FU's, not just on the hairline, that might have also contributed to more even looking hairs.

Btw, I will always shave my head, just not as low, I wanted to get the pics for the worst-case scenario (for example where I showed the scar area). Probably all FUE from now on, I'm worried about worsening the scar.