Transplant to areas with thinned hair which are not totally bald yet

My temples have serious thinning and my hairline goes back a bit. But there are areas which still have some miniaturized hairs which have not totally fallen out for good. If I get a HT into these areas, will I "kill" these hairs? Is that something I should even worry about if the transplanted hairs will be much better anyway?

That would be called shock loss. That is a concern if the density of the area is too thick, but it's hard to say without seeing any photos. In many cases of hair transplantation some kind of shock loss occurs, and it usually occurs to miniaturized hairs that would have fallen out anyway, but sometimes it's best to use medication and see what happens first before going through the procedure. Post some photos or consult with a surgeon to see what's the best option for you.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thinning, weak, or minuturized hairs certainly tend to shed from shock easier and more often than healthy hairs. It is also more likely that if these hairs to fall out post operatively from shock that they will not grow back. Hopefully, you will be replacing them will healthier hairs. You have to decide how proactive you want to be.

Thinning, weak, or minuturized hairs certainly tend to shed from shock easier and more often than healthy hairs. It is also more likely that if these hairs to fall out post operatively from shock that they will not grow back. Hopefully, you will be replacing them will healthier hairs. You have to decide how proactive you want to be.
so would it make more sense to simply remove the weakening hairs and replace them with stronger hairs while a HT is performed? or would you wait until after the transplanted hairs have grown to see if there will be shock loss?

which would you suggest?

Are you asking if you should shave the miniturized hairs before you have a transplant procedure? That would emiminate the shock value.
no im asking if the miniturized hairs should be removed all together and replaced with healthy ones not prone to fall out.

is that something you have done? if the hairs are miniturized arent they going to fall out eventually anyway?

No. I generally try to salvage all existing hairs and hope they will stick around for a while. You never know. I would have a hard time getting rid of any scalp hairs on purpose. Now laser hair removal for body hair is a different story.

In many cases of hair transplantation some kind of shock loss occurs, and it usually occurs to miniaturized hairs that would have fallen out anyway

Ive been wondering this also. I have a thinning area that is slowly going bald (over the years). How do I know if these "hairs that were would have fallen out anyway" might have stayed for another 3 years or more? Wouldnt transplanting into that area be a step backward potentially?

Then we would be talking about a 2nd procedure to see what the first procedure may have shocked. I see this in some larger FUE cases. The natural hair pattern (however thin) is replaced by a big area that is less natural to the eye and needs more work to look full or natural again. Any thoughts?