Can I re-use my own hair that's been cut as donor hair?

Hi

This is a question I cannot seem to find the answer for. I am thinning at the front of my head right on the hairline but still have a good amount of hair left elsewhere. I get it cut once a month as it grows pretty long and the other day I looked around and saw all that hair that had been cut and though how great it would be if I had all that at the front of my head. (I know, wishful thinking)

Thinking about it more, as a former hair transplant undergoer myself, I wondered if those hairs could be used as donor hair and be implanted into the scalp like donor hair from the back of the head is used in hair transplant surgery. I understand they wouldn't grow and you would have to keep existing hair to the same length of the cut hair but hey, that would work for me and i'm sure a ton of other guys who are thinning and need some fuller coverage would appreciate that too. If it would work of course.

Its your own natural hair, same color etc etc.

Anyone , surgeons, experienced people, have any idea if this would work? any major drawbacks etc

Hey, if it would work, it'd save a lot of guys from having to get the donor strip taken out (and scar for that matter) and for those are only thinning in certain areas and have plenty of hair elsewhere to use as donor hair, it would mean they would get pretty thick results from day one.

Just a thought, would love to know what you guys think?

implanting hair without a follicle would be meaningless and fail miserably.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

implanting hair without a follicle would be meaningless and fail miserably.

You are absolutely correct! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Your cut hairs I'll not grow. We are getting closer to hopefully cloning a hair follicle,

But time will tell.

I have decided to wait for hair cloning myself and hope we get there soon. The current transplant systems just seem to have to many downsides without the desired results. I really don't want scars on my head or face.

I feel like we will find a medication that works better than finasteride before cloning is a viable option. Every year we find out more about why we go bald. The more you know about why the closer you come to a better treatment or cure. Fin treats a symptom of an underlying cause, once we go deeper all bets are off.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

We have been saying we are close for many years so who really knows. we have been saying every year about 5 to 10 years away.

I started researching hairloss and surgical hair restoration in 1980 when there was no internet. All there were at the time were several books in the public library. And back then, there were claims being made for curing hairloss and the promise of cloning on the horizon. Back then it was only a theory but many thought it would be in the next decade. Every ten years the same thing is being said and promised.

Yet I have to say that more clinical research is being done than ever before in history. I do think we are closer to it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY