Funding hair transplant.

With the average transplant costing in excess of ?6000 i am wandering how the procedures are attainable by everyday punters like me.

Iam interested in going ahead with a procedure costing ?7000 FUE. I earn 30k a year and find it a struggle to save anywhere near this.

Iam aware financing options exist however prefer ways that dont have impact on credit rating.

Any advice on experience of saving for a procedure?

First of all, if you haven't already contacted premiere clinics to schedule in-person consultations I would go ahead and do that. Be upfront and honest with them about your financial situation. Some may be (or may not be) very accommodating regarding payment for the procedure.

Once you find a clinic you are committed to, you could probably send in monthly (or bi-monthly) payments before your procedure to build credit with them. This ensures you won't be spending the money on other things, though it may take a year or two to build enough credit to pay off a procedure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I'm a little curious about this as well.. I just figured I'd have to have a credit card with at least a 10k limit (which I don't have.. and is probably the WORST way to go if you don't have a really low rate).

What kind of financing options do the clinics offer? Just trying to get a general idea.. what are the interest rates/terms like? Do most require a deposit or down payment?

Of course, I realize that the best way would be to contact the individual clinic.. Personally, I think I'm going to have to save up as much as possible.. which is fine, because this is such an important decision that I really want to do my homework and start a treatment regimen before I commit to a procedure.

So during the course exchanging messages with another member, they mentioned CareCredit.

This is a credit card you can apply for that is used specifically for medical or cosmetic procedures.

In his case, he saved up $6000 and put the other $6k on his CareCredit card. I checked out the website, and it seems like it could be an option.

I'm just a little unsure how many HT doctors accept this.. In this case, the member had his HT with Dr. Konior.

Upon reviewing the terms, I'm also a little unsure about what is considered "promotional". There's a big difference in financing at 14.99% vs 26.99%. The fact that you may be able to finance for up to 60 months sounds promising as it kind of puts the HT procedure within "reach".

Does anyone have any experience with CareCredit?

I believe docs outside the US cant use care credit but many have their own version of care credit. I also believe that "Promotional period" means the first year and thereafter, the rate goes up. The rates you posted are so high that I would not want to go that route.

Here is an idea, I get pre approved credit card applications in the mail all the time offering 0% interest rates for 12 or 18 months. Paying for half up front and then puting the rest on the card with the goal of paying it off during the zero rate period seems like the way to go.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

That's a great point.. I know that with CareCredit, there's something about no interest if you pay it off before the term is up.. but since more traditional credit cards are more universally accepted, it might just be less hassle.

And you're right, with all the 0% promotional offers out there for signing up, applying for the right card, at the right time, with the right terms and rewards (if applicable) may be a much better way to go.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

You could reduce your expenses by cutting back on entertainment and committing to a more strict budget. Your eagerness to regain your hair will likely intensify as time passes. Hair restoration is one of the best ways to improve your appearance.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians