If I have hypertension, should I quit Rogaine?

Since13

Hi

I've been on Rogaine and Propecia for several months and they seem working. I'm really worried that I may get hypertension in the future since I have a family history of hypertension.

Can people with hypertension use minoxidil? I really, really don't want to think about giving up this drug after the results that I've seen.

Thanks!

Since,

In my opinion, this is definitely a question to ask your personal physician.

Having said that ...

Minoxidil is actually a very potent vasodialator (agent that dialates/opens blood vessels) and is semi-frequently used in treating unresponsive, malignant hypertension. Keep in mind that when used to actually affect blood pressure, minoxidil is not used in a topical form (it will either be oral or, more likely, intravenous).

Altogether, I'd take this piece of information into consideration, but use it while having this conversation with a physician.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I have mild hypertension and take the smallest dose of lisinopril for it. The rogaine has not affected it one way or the other as far as I can tell.

hey, how long have you taking lisinopril?

Do you think lisinopril could hv contributed to your hairloss as most hypertension drugs do one way or another?

I have mild hypertension and take the smallest dose of lisinopril for it. The rogaine has not affected it one way or the other as far as I can tell.

I see! So, what I understand is that your physician did not ask you to quit minoxidil.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding, I don't suffer from hypertension. My question is a hypothetical one since I may, like everyone, get hypertension in the future, especially that I have a family history!

Thanks!