How Short Can My Hair Be?

Before surgery patient often ask, "Do I need to shave my head?"

In Dr. Wesley's practice, patients are not required to shave their heads for a traditional strip harvest approach to hair restoration surgery. Instead, they are encouraged to wear their hair at a minimum of 3/4" in length. However, Dr. Wesley is able to achieve an effective camouflage of sutures in the donor area in patients with even shorter hair length.

Although hair that is slightly longer in the donor area makes it easier to perform the surgical donor closure, this video demonstrates how - before (left image) and two weeks after (3 pictures on the right) - the donor area can already appear very normal. This allows patients to comfortably return to work, school, or social activities.

5b32d53b01206__Before_Haircut.jpg.33605cceccc1c985fe71beff26097bba.jpg

5b32d53b14b34__DonorScar_2Wks_Right.jpg.06e4c3eceb905e9c9e3f6b65d3df05a0.jpg

5b32d53b25399__DonorScar_2Wks_.jpg.5db8b2235d64e979d467ed3764879ac0.jpg

5b32d53b4ef39__DonorScar_2Wks_Left.jpg.fe24555f6721ca00ca0fff1c6926882e.jpg

Edited by Billena

Billena,

Great post! That is certainly a frequently asked question around here. I've taken the liberty of publishing this on our Hair Loss Q&A Blog as well.

Do I Have to Shave My Head for a Hair Transplant?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Great! Thanks, David.

And, Rob, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't recall the patient using concealer. I can follow up with him and find out. His donor hair did certainly grow back and was quite thick. If he did use it, it wouldn't have been throughout his entire scalp. Only in the donor. But I generally discourage patients from applying anything like TOPPIK until about two weeks out from surgery.