Hair straightening

I had a hair transplant 6 months ago. In addition to my hair having thinned out over the years, it has also gotten much more wavy and coarse, making it hard to style the way I like. My hair stylist has suggested getting my hair straightened. Can this damage either my transplanted hair or my existing hair?

I had a hair transplant 6 months ago. In addition to my hair having thinned out over the years, it has also gotten much more wavy and coarse, making it hard to style the way I like. My hair stylist has suggested getting my hair straightened. Can this damage either my transplanted hair or my existing hair?

Many hair transplant patients tell of the transplanted hairs being a bit wiry and coarse shortly after they grow in. They also say that this goes away in time; the hairs will "soften up."

As far as relaxing your hair, it is my understanding that the chemicals involved can be very harsh. The best that I can suggest for you to do is to find out exactly what is in the solution that they plan on using and consult your hair transplant physician to get his/her recommendations.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Almost all the old mini and micro HT procedure resulted in wire/wavy hair but after about 18 months is straightens out and over time it becomes normal. However, with the latest FU procedures this should not be as much as a problem-- if it is truely FUs.

Dont straighten it-- that is like getting a "perm" which they use harsh chemicals which can damage the scalp and hair-- AVOID THAT AT ALL COSTS. What I did, was use a dense conditioner every day which helps over time.

• 12 years later...

You could try some physical hair straighteners? Just use a heat protectant product to help prevent damage.

Online Patient Advisor for Dr. Bijan Feriduni, Coalition Member

My opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent that of Dr. Feriduni's.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

The only reason why I got a HT was because I NEED straight hair, and it looked like shit with my recession. I will only be relieved when I can finally straighten it.

This will be the moment when I'll be unwrapping the christmas presents. Not before, even I get a full NW1.

This is how adamant about straightening my hair I am. Of course I'll use the best and less harsh products. As of now, I'm already(2 monts post-op) using an anti-frizz shampoo. I don't see how anything could damage the grafts. Of course some hairs will break. But in what way could any product harm the actual follicles?