Dr. Carlos K. Wesley: FUE "Sectioned" Scalp and Beard FUE

Billena

FUE can also serve as a "cherry on top" after a strip harvest.

This patient had already had prior hair transplantation at a different clinic and desired a 1) more refined hairline with a 2) more comfortable experience. FUE using sections of his virgin donor scalp was the choice. Beard FUE was also performed. The grafts were placed throughout the hairline as well as into the prior linear scar from a previous session.

A total of 1283 FU were used to treat this patient. This approach enables patients to wear their hair at a longer length immediately after an FUE session. In general, each section should be about 75% as wide as the donor hair is long.

WP_Before_Right_Close.jpg.3b2cf0cc041354194ae95686dd2d88d2.jpg

WP_Before_Right.jpg.998c3855594e68821ee0b8648080eb4d.jpg

WP_Later_Right.jpg.edf7de98143a6b99594e65e792d89da1.jpg

WP_Before_Front.jpg.06170b771b94bc855207fd932b837222.jpg

WP_Later_Front.jpg.e6ef5fda5dfe786de0803edafb1ea15f.jpg

WP_Day0_Donor_Segments3.jpg.227ed2da9815fd6bfb497ef666b6c876.jpg

WP_Day0_Beard_FUE.jpg.c1cbdae8ad7111671727bda6534ec678.jpg

Edited by Billena

Very natural!

However, I'm curious: why was the decision made to utilize beard hair in this procedure? Was the patient's donor region depleted?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Good question! It wasn't that his donor was depleted as much as there was a limit to the amount of donor hair that could be clipped and still effectively conceal any linear scars from previous sessions at another clinic. In general, you can harvest FUE from sections about 75% as wide as the donor hair is long and still effectively conceal the FUE donor harvest in the short term (first week or so). In this patient's case, we were challenged by not only keeping the donor hair that camouflages the linear scar intact, but also leaving enough hair to cover up the patch from which the grafts were harvested.

The beard hair FUE harvest, therefore, was to simply obtain more grafts and get slightly better density.

Hi Dr. Wesley,

Good to hear from you! Thank you for the excellent reply.

Blake

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 8 months later...

Relating this patient to a separate thread on FUE, we used a combination of 0.8 and 0.9mm FUE punches throughout. The beard was predominantly 0.8mm (as it is slightly more exposed) and the scalp was a combination of 0.8 and 0.9mm punches (selected based on patient's donor density in that scalp region and the type of graft desired).

Dr. Wesley,

Those punch sizes seem appropriate. Especially the smaller, 0.8mm punch in the beard area. Again, nice work!