Minoxidil Long time Users

Kyo

Hi

Was wondering if anyone out there that has used Minoxidil for a extended period of time. ie 5 -10 years + could help?

From reading a number of sources and forums , there conflicting info on how effective minoxodil is in the long term.

Some say it effectiveness decreases over time as your body could become resistant to it's effect in the long run while others gain even more hair before they started and continued to maintain it.

Could someone please clarify or share their experiences?

Cheers

Kyo

I'm no expert but from what I understand, Minoxidil strengthens the hair against the effects of dht. Basically chains are strangling the hair folicle and minoxidil provides more strength to the hair. This treatment also increased the diameter of your existing hair making it look fuller. Over time however the chains will strangle the follicle to death with or without the treatment. I don't think the body develops resistance. Nature just takes it's inevidible course. The way I see it, if I can delay the onset of thinning, it's a good thing. I've been on it for a few days now. I know my hair will thicken over the course of the next year then it will remain unchanged. Some might think it stopped working after the results ended. What you have to realize is that the drug hasn't stopped working, you are just slowing down the progression a bit. You will thin, but it will happen slower. By the time I am 80 I will not really care. lol, but for now, I want to slow it down. Geez did I type all of that?

Tried minoxidil for 2 years and quit due to heart palpitations. The problem, as I see it, is that one starts minox or finasteride only after seeing signs of hair loss. So, if the chemicals maintain what you have left, then you are stuck with some signs of hair loss.......and the fact that the chemicals could lose efficacy over time. Anyhow, it seems like using chemicals to control hair loss is sort of like a half-measure and perhaps a ticking time bomb; at least it was for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried minoxidil for 2 years and quit due to heart palpitations. The problem, as I see it, is that one starts minox or finasteride only after seeing signs of hair loss. So, if the chemicals maintain what you have left, then you are stuck with some signs of hair loss.......and the fact that the chemicals could lose efficacy over time. Anyhow, it seems like using chemicals to control hair loss is sort of like a half-measure and perhaps a ticking time bomb; at least it was for me.

I've seen some awesome results on Rogaine foam for about 2 years. I was really happy my hair became full after it was already thinning. However, it is a 2 edged blade. I started having massive heart palps and markedly increased anxiety and sometimes even panic attacks. After stopping the minox the problems went away slowly but surely. I feel that If I would have continued using I would have been stuck with some serious heart condition or an anxiety disorder.

Before considering using minox for long or short please visit this site and just CTRL + F and search for "Heart, Anxiety" etc. and you will see what it can do to you. There are also a few studies done on the effects of Minox on Left Ventricular mass and it's not good... The studies are not very representative because of the small sample size and control variables but nevertheless they indicate that there is a Risk.

Please be careful with what you do to your body for a few hairs. If you are serious about getting your hair back just save some cash and do a transplant or just live with your thinning hair...

• 4 years later...

I just found this post of you from 2012, and I wanted to ask you, did this symptoms recede over the pass of the years? Are you feeling fine right now? Did your heart return to normal? I ask you this because I'm having the same symptoms after using minoxidil for about 4 months, right now I`m not using it for about two months but symptoms of arrhythmia and chest pain are still with me, also some difficult to breathe and lack of energy also. Important thing to tell is that in the beggining at the second day of minoxidil I had a tachycardia so strong that sent me to the hospital and later I tried with a lower dose, that left after feeling the problems... Are you fine right now??

I have been using minoxidil for little over a year now. My hair looks much better now and feels stronger. Lucky for me, I didn't suffer any major heart problems but heard many others do. I would advise you to talk with a cardiologist about the symptoms.

Wish you best @morue

Hannah

Kyo,

I used Minoxdil on and off for about 5 years so I probably don't qualify as someone who used minoxidil for a very long time. But generally speaking, if minoxidil is working, it should be pretty effective for as long as you use it. That said, the body does change as it ages and it's possible that it won't be as effective 20 years later as other factors exacerbate hair fall, thinning and loss.

Best wishes,

Bill